Yellow oil sludge on oil cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah obviously. I drive mine to work, it sits for about 5 hours, I go to lunch and then I drive home a few hours later. I'm doing it all wrong. :)

I had very little sludge today and most if it was under the thing you can take out of the tube. I used a paper towel and you could definitely see the moisture from it like I wiped up some water.

My '03 was even worse, but that had shorter trips back then too.

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 and have never had an issue with the sludge
of course I take mine out and run it, don't give it any slack and it gets warmed up good every trip.
166,500 on it so must be doing something right

I dont think it gets cold enough in your area to cause an issue

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just giving advice, I have sent out a lot of front crank seals to dealers in the upper midwest and probably half of these 3.7/4.7 litre engines didnt need this and will have the issue again without this being done. It is related to short trips and extremely cold weather not the 20s, I am talking below zero for a high temp

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I get some sludge at times if the weather is right. Not a lot but some as most of my trips are long but sometimes I do a short trip.. I keep checking it during the winter months and change the pcv with my first spring oil change. Mine is an 05MY so the pcv comes out of the plastic oil spout. They moved the pcv on the 06MY.

Dave

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my advice is this keep an eye on it, if you suddenly develop a front seal leak then I would look at this update before replacing the crankshaft seal at 300.00

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think it gets cold enough in your area to cause an issue

Whats it have to be 40 below:happy175:
right now its 16 , was 6 when I got up this morning
first winter I had it it sat 70 foot from Lake Erie blowing on it every night
We may not get 40 below but its still cold to those of us that live here:happy175:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ's spent plenty of time in -30 degree weather,never once had any sign of sludge build up in the oil fill and I do almost all short trips.I do "blow the cobwebs out" weekly though and that 5 mile drive to work every day has 7 stop lights and 7 full throttle starts.Have I replaced the crank seal? yep,a few months ago but due to age as all seals will leak anyways but any leaks on my KJ are due to the 2 years it was in storage.Oh and I do change my PCV valve once a year regardless,heck $5 at Napa and 2 mins under the hood so why not.

On a side note I changed my front crank seal in less then 20mins,didn';t even have to open the hood.Granted with no IFS in the way it was a breeze and the crank seal was $10 at the dealership.You do need a $100 puller though to remove the crank pulley.

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wasnt because it was cheaper to it some other way that takes extra engineering costs

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the yellow/orange sludge buildup occasionally. No big deal, I just wipe it off and keep going. Oil changes every 3-5K, and I just put a new PCV valve on- we'll soon see if that makes a difference.

Mopar guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am just trying to help others, no I work for the Parts division of Chrysler LLC, and see first hand what the dealers order

WesChapman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just experienced the sludge with this weekends oil change. In December we moved closer to my job. I went from 100 miles a day round trip, to 4 miles a day round trip. When I was making the 100 mile commute, I didn't have any sludge or goo. After a month and a half of the 4 mile commute, I had a lot of goo in the oil fill tube.
My Jeep is a 2005 Rennie with 124000 miles, I use Vavoline 5W-30 and either Bosch or Mobile 1 filters. Change interval is 5k, but I think I will change to 3k now. Had an oil analysis done at the last oil change and the results indicated my engine was in better than average shape for the miles. Winter time temps range from the 20's to mid 60's, humidity is higher at our new house than the old. We're about 20 minutes away from the Pacific Ocean now and get a lot of fog.

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having this issue on my 03 liberty. It gets quite a bit of condensation under the cap and it clogs up the PCV valve. I changed the PCV valve yesterday and it ran tip top for an entire day, and then went back to a rough idle. I didn't clean out the filler neck / cap and think some of that sludge got in the new valve already.

Is there a link to a complete kit for re-routing the PCV valve on an 03 liberty sport?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it probably pulled in some of the sludge, you might be able to clean out the PCV valve with some thing...but i am not sure.