when an abs sensor goes bad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how do you know which one it is ?
my abs light and my esp light came on after making a quick stop. and they
are staying on .
I checked for codes, but there are none coming up.

Last edited:

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all, don't despair :)

And Yes, You'd need a really smart scan tool to read the proper code :(

But, before You :pp: .... do the following: if space is too tight for you, lift the rear axle a bit,
then, just above the diff, there is a connector which, 90% of the times, is the culprit!
Remove it CAREFULLY, connectors don't come cheap, clean it with contact spray,reinstall and
cross fingers....

I've heard cases where oxidation formed on the ABS unit side, but some contact cleaner did the trick!
Connectors (2 IIRC) are a in an uncomfortable position however....so, leave that as the last resort...

Unfortunately, front wheels' sensors are a PITA to access, You'll need to almost remove the hub.. :eek:
They're about 40 U$ each and RH/LH are different, as usual....

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, BTW, check for snapped cables as well... happened to me once (RH sensor) :disgust:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, BTW, check for snapped cables as well... happened to me once (RH sensor) :disgust:

Me too - and "snapped" doesn't mean visibly broken (unfortunately). It can be broken internally and not show any issue. Mine was shot on the passenger rear - I had to rebuild it.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it turns out to be the front passenger side I have an old one that came out of a hub that had a bad bearing.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
took the back ones out and cleaned them. man were they dirty. if I pull the rotors can I see where they make contact?

I'm thinking it may be one of the back ones, as the traction control hasn't been working right lately.

the cable looks good. on the outside at least, how do you know if its bad inside? or do you ?
I haven"t checked the front ones yet, too wet right now.
rain and no garage= no fun

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Jeep Owner, sorry for misguiding You, but my KJ (MY '06) was assembled here and apparently still used a MY 2005 layout,
therefore ABS system is a three-channel one, std for '05 IIRC. So, no separate rear wheel speed sensors for me.

I can only guess the four-channel was standard with traction control....glad I don't have it then :D

Anyway, as You're talking about rain, chances are it's just an issue of moisture/oxidation, almost sure it's nothing serious.