Weak heat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2. It actually could be the water pump again. If there was any HOAT left in it when it was switched to the green stuff it may have coagulated and gummed up the works. Those two different chemistries don't play well together. They form a sludge when mixed.

This here's no joke.. HOAT only.. believe you me, doesn't take long to find out its true..

All I can say is my radiator was not pleased when this happened to me a few years back..
Only time I pay someone to do my water pump while libby was there in the shop (lost a tire and the radiator cracked when the front end dropped..)

New water pump went after about a month with the wrong coolant..only to find out during replacement that my radiator was..well. gross.
Took off the upper hose and jello came out with it lol
It was a diluted yellow and I'd assumed it was Zerex.. don't assume..
If you don't know for sure, don't take the risk.
Flush it out and fill it up with HOAT, then follow the advice given by ltd02.

Last edited:

WSWVIG

Reaction score
Filled up with zerex g05, was not able to bleed the system via the bleeder screw as it was stripped

Filled up with while warming up then filled to proper level once engine was cold, same way I do with every car i change coolant in

Still the air coming out the vents isn't hot, today I smelled a sweet swell coming from the vents for a good minute

I'm leaning towards a bad heater core causing my weak heat issue?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're smelling sweet coming out of the vents, it's time to tear into your dashboard.

Sorry...

WSWVIG

Reaction score
Any tips on replacing heater core? I know the dash needs to come out and all that