Jeep Liberty Overheat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SW0_KJ_JEEP

Reaction score
My 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L is constantly overheating but only when I'm driving it can idle all day and it'll stay in the 212-220°F range but when I start driving it goes to 240°F-250°F unless I have the heater on full blast, I've replaced the heater core, water pump, and the radiator and mostly all the hoses. Please help.

Edit: I also replaced the Thermostat but forgot to mention it above

Last edited:

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You didn’t mention replacing the thermostat? It may be malfunctioning or installed the wrong way around.

SW0_KJ_JEEP

Reaction score
That's the first thing we replaced sorry that slipped my mind and it's installed the right way and the one that's recommended for a Jeep KJ

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could there be air in the line preventing your coolant from circulating effectively? Clearly it goes to the heater core and back, but the radiator? Do the radiator hoses get hot?

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many cheap parts out here nowadays that it could also be a bad thermostat right out of the box...might be a good time to pull and check it in a pan of water with a thermometer...should start opening at the rated temp and then completely open about 10° above that.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There is only 1 correct thermostat for the KJ & it is not in a box.
It is packaged in a plastic bag.

Attachments

• Thermostat KJ.jpg
    Thermostat KJ.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 15

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is only 1 correct thermostat for the KJ & it is not in a box.
It is packaged in a plastic bag.

I'll take your word for it since I drive a KJ CRD
That said, the OEM part being shipped in bag doesn't change the fact that MANY different wrong parts that still fit will come in a box and are cheap enough to be "bad" right out of the box...or bag or whatever they are shipped in.

Rockauto shows fitment for the 3.7 V6 of over a DOZEN different thermostats all rated at 195°, but made by different manufacturers and costing from only $5 and up to $35 for the OEM.

So the $35 dollar question is WHICH thermostat did the OP buy and install and if it is in fact working properly right out of the box??

That said, if the thermostat came in a bag and is actually OEM, then OP can simply ignore the question.

Just my .02

Last edited:

SW0_KJ_JEEP

Reaction score
It was working we always test thermostats b4 install because with the KJ and some other vehicle what's the point of putting it on there and it not working then having to spend 30+ dollars on more collant but the one we got fully opened at 212°F which is what it said and when we did research that's the degree it needed so I guess I need to get a 195°F Thermostat (many companies ship in bags nowadays FYI but i can say we did not buy OEM)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You need the OEM Thermostat and install & align it correctly.

Attachments

• Thermostat install.jpg
    Thermostat install.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 16

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need the OEM Thermostat and install & align it correctly.

Alignment is very important! That bleed "jiggle" valve needs to be at 12 o'clock or you can trap air. I know people who used a non-bleed t stat but drilled an 1/8" hole and positioned at 12 o'clock. worked fine.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take your word for it since I drive a KJ CRD
That said, the OEM part being shipped in bag doesn't change the fact that MANY different wrong parts that still fit will come in a box and are cheap enough to be "bad" right out of the box...or bag or whatever they are shipped in.

Rockauto shows fitment for the 3.7 V6 of over a dozen different thermostats still rated at 195°, but made by different manufacturers and costing from only $5 and up to $35.

So the $35 dollar question is WHICH thermostat did the OP buy and install and if it is in fact working properly right out of the box??

That said, if the thermostat came in a bag and is actually OEM, then OP can simply ignore the$35 question.

Just my .02
$5-35 for a thermostat, these V6 boys have got it made!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course Im down for that now too having just installed a CRD modified thermostat housing.
I've got the old housing under the bench in my workshop with half a plan to cut it around and fit a common element in it, as I've just put a decent aftermarket one on I'm hoping I won't need to bother.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got the old housing under the bench in my workshop with half a plan to cut it around and fit a common element in it, as I've just put a decent aftermarket one on I'm hoping I won't need to bother.

From what I can see, that will be a fun project ... you should work on it in the meantime so its ready just in case you need it ... NOT that these little trucks need anything extra on their list of things to do!!!

Last edited:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I can see, that will be a fun project ... you should work on it in the meantime so its ready just in case you need it ... NOT that these trucks meed anything extra on their list of things to do!!!
Yes, but the first thing on the list is drag a 3ph cable across the workshop to the milling machine... I'll get there in the end lol

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have air.

Jack it up or drive it up your ramps cold and open the cap and air bleed allen in the upper hose neck. Let it idle a while like that with the heat running. Then see if the level drops where you can top it off.

If no, then I would pay attention to the fan running, look at the condition of the radiator and maybe try another thermostat.

Robochop

Robochop
Reaction score
My 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L is constantly overheating but only when I'm driving it can idle all day and it'll stay in the 212-220°F range but when I start driving it goes to 240°F-250°F unless I have the heater on full blast, I've replaced the heater core, water pump, and the radiator and mostly all the hoses. Please help.

Edit: I also replaced the Thermostat but forgot to mention it above
After refilling with antifreeze, did you open the bleeder to get all the air out of the system? Also have you checked the water pump and radiator fan?

SW0_KJ_JEEP

Reaction score
The only other thing I can think of is my engine light is on and it's displaying a code for an O2 sensor but I doubt that could cause my overheating issues

Members online

No members online now.