Uh oh...new noise!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, so when I take off in the KJ first drive after it's been sitting for awhile, I hear a squeaking sound which is rotational and proportional with speed...squeak squeak squeak. Then as I drive further, the noise gets louder and worse sounding, but still a squeaking type noise. I apply the brakes and it doesn't change, I let off the brakes and it doesn't change....hmmmm. Then all of a sudden it stops with no input from me, nothing changes from what I am doing driving. Then it starts again out of the blue, again driving conditions never change. Then as I pull up to a stop light about 6-7mph the sound stops.kopkrab.gif I pull away from the stop and maybe no sound for 3-5 minutes...then squeak squeak squeak.......Thoughts??

I am leaning towards a rear u-joint, since it sounds alot like that squeak a bad joint has. I also think it could be brakes, since I heard a noise similar when I had anti rattle clip problems in the front....the pad was actually travelling up with the rotor and dropping down into place again, so it was like a squeaking clicking kinda sound.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
U-joint sounds good,maybe check boot deals out on drive shafts also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Its the rear u joints, take them out and apart , mine were as dry as a popcorn **** when mine went, felt tight to try and move them but when apart they were toast! Or drive for a while and grab the u joint, they will get hot!

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok Update:

Took the right front caliper off to check the pads....actually the anti rattle clips to be exact. Sure enough the lower inside clip is gone...again! :mad:

Now that the clip is gone, it allows the bottom of the inboard pad to "float" and in doing so, it causes the top mount point to wiggle the top clip in it's monting channel.... and you get squeak squeak squeak. I can make the clip make the noise by wiggling the pad by hand.

My rotors are warped and this makes the pad follow the warp, and after the pad moves so much on that little thin spring clip, it must either break the clip or somehow spit it out of the channel....but how? This is what I think is happening, it has happened 3 times now since I put new pads on 1 1/2 yrs ago.

The pad will actually ride up and fall down when both clips come out on one pad side....thats a funky noise. :D

So I didn't pull the DS and on the ride home..no sqeak.

Thanks for the input guys. I heard DS too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online