Transmission temperature sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where is it? I think mine might be a bit off. Sometimes the warning light comes on when I’m climbing a mountain pass. But there has never been any evidence of burnt fluid. I pull over, put it in neutral, and wait for it to go out. The transmission works fine, no jerky-jerkies or heebie-jeebies.

I had the transmission cooler lines replaced in January 2022. I went to Aamco, and they told me to come back in 10k miles for a flush and fill. When I returned, they did not curse me for a fool for burning my fluid. They said everything looked fine, come back in 30k miles for servicing.

I have not discussed the temperature issue with them yet. I did check the fluid again this morning and everything still looks proper.

ikuo78

Reaction score
Regarding 42, there is a description and it is integrated with the transmission range sensor.

It looks like a big job.

It would be nice if the problem could be fixed by simply unplugging the connector and plugging it back in.

You must be registered for see images attach

Reactions: klc

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding 42, there is a description and it is integrated with the transmission range sensor.

It looks like a big job.

It would be nice if the problem could be fixed by simply unplugging the connector and plugging it back in.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks. I missed that.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Describe what sort of mountain pass you're going up. Its a well known fact that the 42rle is easy to overheat. If this mountain pass is slow speeds and you're not using 4low, its possible that its just overheating.

The stock aux cooler isn't enough for anything other than normal driving. The towing package (and possibly offroad package) came with a larger transmission cooler. As LibertyTC mentioned above, I noticed cooler temps with the PML pan but installing a larger aux cooler may be cheaper and may be more effective.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine’s a Limited, so it’s got the Tow Package. Which is why I’m wondering if the sensor might be a bit out of tolerance. Though I suppose I should make myself buy the larger pan. Then I’ll need to find someone to install it, as I’ve never done anything with transmissions.

nbas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the PML 42RLE aluminum transmission pan, and changed my external transmission radiator to the bigger one Mopar has "Mopar Service Kit for Heavy Duty Cycle Operation. For Extreme Heat Conditions Only." as they claim (5191979AA I think...), however when climbing a mountain I still have temp issues. So what I did, is I installed a trans temp gauge on the transmission pan (PML can be ordered with the specific location ready) and I watch my trans temps since then.
The funny think is, that my friend who owns a 2008 Wrangler with the same transmission does not have such issues (at least after he added an aftermarket oil cooler). He is always 15-20oC less than I am...

Latest posts

Members online