Transfer case cost?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aksloan

Reaction score
Thw 242 is nothing like(not even close to) the 218 used in the miltary HMMWV.QUOTE]

Though the poster said the 242 is a DERIVATIVE of the unit in the H1 .... and a quick search appears to back that up .... Google is your friend! :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thw 242 is nothing like(not even close to) the 218 used in the miltary HMMWV.QUOTE]

Though the poster said the 242 is a DERIVATIVE of the unit in the H1 .... and a quick search appears to back that up .... Google is your friend! :D
Read my whole post,and you will see what I was talking about.The civilian H1 and the military HMMWV use 2 different t-cases,a 242 wouldn't hold up to being put behind a 430lb-ft or torque turbo deisel in a vehicle tipping the scales at over 12,000lbs+(M1114,M1097A1,and so on),the 218 t-case does.The early military HMMWV had the 242 but they quickly changed them to the 218's once armor and such was put on.

WireEd

Reaction score
Let me rephrase the comment I made about the 242 transfer case, and set the record straight. At New Process Gear, in dept. 861, they make the transfer case for the AM General military Humvee. I worked on some quality issues there on Saturday morning about 3:00 am. It's a 242. It says 242 on the round metal ID tag and we road test them in an actual military humvee which our plant owns. I also drive them. We haven't made a 218 for better than 15 years. I hope this helps!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me rephrase the comment I made about the 242 transfer case, and set the record straight. At New Process Gear, in dept. 861, they make the transfer case for the AM General military Humvee. I worked on some quality issues there on Saturday morning about 3:00 am. It's a 242. It says 242 on the round metal ID tag and we road test them in an actual military humvee which our plant owns. I also drive them. We haven't made a 218 for better than 15 years. I hope this helps!!
Every t-case in a HMMWV that I have replaced has been a 218,then again we never saw a new t-case,we always rebuilt them inhouse or got them from the F&E shop(who rebuilt them).

They may be using them now in new HMMWV but they ussually get blown up before breaking anything,litterly.

You can't compare the 242AMG to a 242 in a KJ,it's like comparing apples to oranges.Just like trying to compare a 241 to the RockTrac,they may have been related once but after heavy modification they are nothing alike anymore.

Oh and the 242AMG does not have a 2wd option like the 242 in the KJ,and the 242 will not bolt in a KJ without some major modification.There are also more then just a different input and oil cooler between the 242AMG and the KJ 242,practically the whole guts is different in the 242AMG then the KJ 242,even the shifter mechinism and case(to allow for the cooler).

I really like the 241OR. That is a great unit. It handles much more torque than the Atlas. I've seen them on the dyno. Argh!!. I have always been a lay shaft fan but in that case the chain wins without difficulty. I personally have a 4:1 Dana 300 in my old CJ5.
I highly doubt that,wonder why Ruby owners are throwing there breaking RockTrac's away and replacing them with a AtlasII.You don't see any RockTrac's in any compititions and you know those guys only use the strongest and the best.gear to gear is always stronger then a chain,and out of the 2 AtlasII failures(that I have heard of) have been from a bad shift fork but has been long ago fixed or incorrect oil used.

land_shark

Reaction score
I searched for the same vibration problem and commented in the KK section where this was first posted..

I was wondering if you ruled out uneven tire wear/cupping? I'm going to rotate mine soon (hopefully tomorrow) to see if it helps.

land_shark

Reaction score
I rotated my tires the other day as per the manual's described method, and my vibes are gone. I could definitely see cupping on the tires. Have you made any headway on tracking down your vibrations?
Thanks,
Jason

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.