Track Lock. Grumbling noise in slow turn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
The grumbling noise is coming from the rear end. It only happens in a slow sharp (greater that 60 degrees turn). It happens either way I turn. There are no other suspicious sounds on the drive train. It is not a squeaking noise. Its like a low grumbling power steering pump sound, only it's coming from the trunk area. I was reading an incomplete thread from 9-2007. A similar noise was recognized as being a common noise for a Track Lock. Is this noise something I should be concerned about? Or, is it normal and par for the course?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the gear oil was changed? Time to change it regardless and add 4oz of friction modifier,your lacking(or it has degraded) the friction modifier and your trash loc does not like it.Need to get it fixed ASAP(really like now or don't drive it till you can afford it) since it will destroy the LSD and can take the whole rear end out if left this way for sometime.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed
how ever not knowing the milage on your Jeep only knowing it is an '02
I would bet money that the LSD is shot
mine was at 30K ,never even came due for the "regular mait."

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would bet money that the LSD is shotQUOTE]

Wow! what's a replacement LSD run in USD? This may be jumping the gun, but, is there and upgrade mod that I should consider? My Jeep has 75k miles on it. I had her checked out today at the dealership. They said she was due for maintenance on the differentials and trany. Would they not have picked up on an LSD that was flat "out":(?

let me put it like this
does a clutch last for ever if it slips all the time?
that is what the trac loc does
would the dealer pick up on it probably not
it there some thing better sure
what do you want bullet proof off road monster
or a more road friendly diff that will work ok off road

monster = Detroit locker
road friendly = Detroit True Track

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When was the last time the gear oil was changed? Time to change it regardless and add 4oz of friction modifier,your lacking(or it has degraded) the friction modifier and your trash loc does not like it.Need to get it fixed ASAP(really like now or don't drive it till you can afford it) since it will destroy the LSD and can take the whole rear end out if left this way for sometime.

I just bought her this week. No maintenance records. I don't know when her last gear oil change was. I'll take care of it this weekend though. I'll use the ATF+4 and add the 4oz of friction modifier. With the front differential, is friction modifier necessary? Can I get away with red RTV and skip the gasket?

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what do you want bullet proof off road monster
or a more road friendly diff that will work ok off road

monster = Detroit locker
road friendly = Detroit True Track

Would the Detroit True Track do away with the Track Lock technology? If so, would most consider that a good thing? Does anyone love Track Lock and Why?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought her this week. No maintenance records. I don't know when her last gear oil change was. I'll take care of it this weekend though. I'll use the ATF+4 and add the 4oz of friction modifier. With the front differential, is friction modifier necessary? Can I get away with red RTV and skip the gasket?

You might want to rethink your choice of fluid to put in diff.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that with my '02, but very infrequently. Seemed like it only occurred sometimes when turning left, not right; and was somewhat dependant on the load placed on the right rear tire. To clarify, it would only (sometimes) occur when turning left, UPHILL, and pulling away from a dead stop, never during a "rolling" stop. I assumed it was related to the LSD. Anyway, no problems and no noise after I had the pumpkin flushed while still under warranty. Didn't find any chunks.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the Detroit True Track do away with the Track Lock technology? If so, would most consider that a good thing? Does anyone love Track Lock and Why?

it does the same thing only 10X better at it and no clutch packs
I liked the idea of track lock when I bought my TJ
now ,knowing what I know, I would not even bother
I would and did replace it with something that works like it should

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory LSD did break. It damaged the pinion bearing when it went also. I had it replaced with the DTT. I would have switched to it long before the factory trash-lock broke if I had known how much better it was.

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My factory LSD did break. It damaged the pinion bearing when it went also. I had it replaced with the DTT. I would have switched to it long before the factory trash-lock broke if I had known how much better it was.

The more I check into it the more confident I become. It seems like a strong piece of engineering. I'll be sure to protect it with a Riddler cover.