Thoughts before I pull the trigger on the AT2s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sporthorse

Reaction score
Hi, first post here.

I have an 03 KJ Sport in need of new tires (3.7 5-spd 4wd with over 157k). Bought it new and have LOVED it every day since.

Been running General Grabber HTS 235/70/16s and it's been a great tire, but looking to get something more aggressive and solid for snow/ice/slush performance (northeast). I'm what tirerack would call a "spirited" driver...I like to corner tight and fast and dislike losing speed thus creative negotiation type driving around the "mall drivers" is a daily occurrence, conditions permitting and always safe of course.

At this point I'm considering the Grabber AT2s, so my tire shop friend recommended the 225/75/16 in the AT2s - going with the theory taller and narrower tires perform best in snow.

However, I came across this old thread http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f200/what-widest-tire-stock-suspension-52433/ in a search. Haven't measured if/how much sag there may be, but I've not done anything to my suspension or shocks in recent memory so I'm thinking it must have some sag? Over speed bumps in cold temps it does creak... Suspension/shock work will have to be on the next KJ to-do list as I just had full brakes/2nd clutch installed/trans checked (pilot bearing blew out) at 150k so that was shock enough for the KJ budget.

So my question is, should I stay with the 235/70s assuming the suspension is sagging, risk it and get the 225/75s for better snow performance, or consider a different tire altogether? Oh and I'm thinking if I stay with the 235/70s I won't have to buy a 5th for the spare?

Thanks so much!!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome
At that mileage you have to have at least an inch of sag possibly more
Measure from middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare, new they were 19-19.25 . See where you are and then can tell better what may or may not work for you

sporthorse

Reaction score
Thank you!

I measured 2x from the center to bottom curve of the flare.

Passenger side Rear nearly 18
Passenger side Front 18.5
Driver Front 18.5
driver Rear nearly 18.75

The passenger front tire always wears a bit more...could the higher diagonal rear have anything to do with that?

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're not too bad 1/2 -3/4 inch lower , have seen them a whole lot worse but at that height is does keep you at say a 235-70 or that height. Any taller tire will more than likely rub or have almost no room in the fenderwell

sporthorse

Reaction score
Excellent, thank you!

Ha yeah I thought 1/2-3/4 in lower wasn't too bad considering you said 19-19.25 when new, hence why I measured 2x.

So it looks like the Grabber AT2s in a 235/70 will be it.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Members online

No members online now.