Belt pulls far forward on 06 jeep liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

statonelisabet

Reaction score
I went in to replace my serpentine belt and noticed the belt would pull itself nearly off the water pump as soon as I turned the car on. The car also started overheating out of nowhere. I replaced the tensioner pulley just now but it still looks like it's slipping off. I'm not sure if this is how the belt is supposed to sit on the water pump, or if I have another issue to deal with.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6387.jpeg
    IMG_6387.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 17

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overheating and visual on the belt is your clue.

Bad water pump all day. I would bet misaligned belt, but your shot is pretty clear, so I am voting WP. Replace the stat with a Mopar stat, and tensioner while you are in there.

Only other that could cause mis-alignment issue is the PS pulley, so check that it is in alignment with the other pulleys. Should be easy to see from the side how everything except the WP lines up.

statonelisabet

Reaction score
Overheating and visual on the belt is your clue.

Bad water pump all day. I would bet misaligned belt, but your shot is pretty clear, so I am voting WP. Replace the stat with a Mopar stat, and tensioner while you are in there.

Only other that could cause mis-alignment issue is the PS pulley, so check that it is in alignment with the other pulleys. Should be easy to see from the side how everything except the WP lines up.
Thank you! I was wondering about the water pump given the overheating issue and I triple-checked the alignment of the belt so I'mpretty sure that's okay - it was also spraying coolant from somewhere I haven't found just yet. This might be a dumb question but what is the stat/Mopar stat? I replaced the tensioner yesterday and the photo is with the new tensioner in place.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
stat - thermostat - follow lower rad hose back to the block. It is on the right side of the engine (left side as you look at it). Pay special attention to the orientation of the little brass button on the stat. It is an air bleed and it does make a difference when you put a fresh one back in.

statonelisabet

Reaction score
stat - thermostat - follow lower rad hose back to the block. It is on the right side of the engine (left side as you look at it). Pay special attention to the orientation of the little brass button on the stat. It is an air bleed and it does make a difference when you put a fresh one back in.
Thank you!!