The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

erikdogg1219

Reaction score
Damn you guys are getting awsome gas mileage im getting 14 average maybe 17 going on long trips. figure fill up 18.5 by 259 miles, its guzzels. or you can look 300 on 18.5 is about 17. its bone stock 05, with the 225 tires. help me out anyone tell me why its sucking gas. oh yeah clean air filter, not boom booms, properly inflated.

Radioman

Reaction score
Well, I'm a new guy around here in this forum. Just bought my first Jeep ever, a 2007 Liberty. I love the thing, but my first week of gas, I too was a bit shocked by the gas mileage being so low. My previous SUV was 2002 Durango with a 4.7L engine. Regularly got 16 MPG with that thing, even with a K&N air filter. This first week, I got basically about 15.6MPG in mixed local and highway travel. All stock setup, and I'm asuming the engine break in period is whats causing the low mileage. I'm hoping it gets at least 18 MPG. I'll report back in a few days when I have to fill up again.

ryanmcv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My on-board computer reports that I'm averaging about 17mpg in my 2003 Liberty, but that thing hasn't been reset in God-knows-how-long.

Radioman

Reaction score
Just a followup. As of this week, my 2nd week of a new Liberty, and a total of 550 miles since purchase, I'm running 17.2 MPG. Mostly city driving too. I'd be thrilled if she gets 21 MPG on the highway.
- Mike

spacomponents

Reaction score
Re poor mileage-what about gearing?

:-({|= everyone here is crying the blues about mileage, and now I am too. We just got an '04 V6 Auto KJ, 57k miles, was well cared for. tag says 3.73 gears, stock 235/70-16 Wranglers at 34 psi.

I've logged 3 partial tanks so far at 11.5, 13.5, and 15.5 mpg. I've owned a lot of vehicles, this is the all time worst for it's size, weight, displacement, and frontal area, by far. I'm changing over to sythetic lubes for whatever that's worth.

Can anybody here say if going to a slightly taller tire like 245/70-16 buys us any mileage? Lifting and taller tires almost always result in crappy mileage, but the 3.73's seem a bit low for good mileage.

Anyone? (Aeh)

Prest989

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2003 Libby gets 15.2 mpg mixed city/highway driving... I don't know what to do, but its killing my wallet to keep her filled up.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't got an EVIC in my KJ, so I'm not really sure what my mileage is? How hard is it to install a EVIC in my KJ, I see them on ebay a lot for only $40 shipped. I've seen the how-to on it.

ashbinder

Reaction score
My Liberty is stock - I get about 17 MPG in the city, 20 MPG on the highway. However, in the winter, probably due to more stop and go and stickier winter tires, I get about 14 MPG.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't got an EVIC in my KJ, so I'm not really sure what my mileage is? How hard is it to install a EVIC in my KJ, I see them on ebay a lot for only $40 shipped. I've seen the how-to on it.
Divide the number of gallons by the number of miles driven.You got a trip counter on the odemeter.Evic's are really off in MPG readings anyway.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WTF is going on. Am I getting crappy gaS? I used to stay around 15-15.5MPG, now I'm noticing 14.5MPG or less!! I even changed back to my lighter tire/wheel combo. ARG#@$#@$@:mad:

Maximum Carnage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every winter I unplug my a/c compressor and that does seem to help. (woot)
The darn compressor seems to kick on even with the heater.

BlkJeepKJ

Reaction score
Help please!!!

My mind is going crazy as my liberty is getting from what I think, brutal gas mileage.

I live in Canada, so here goes...

Last tank I got was 350 km to 1 tank of gas. It then cost me $60.47 cdn to fill up at 1.14 /L

If I calculated this correctly I am using 15.1 Liters per 100km, which translates to, 15.6 MPG...

I am almost sure I got 400-450km last year, which is around 19.1 MPG give or take.

I do 50% H - 50% C

Is something wrong here?

KJ02Ltd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy if I see 16mpg. I don't think I've had mine over 65mph since I've owned it (Dec 06). Guam is a small island and it's basically "city" driving 90% of the time for me. Not exactly "city", but almost always short trips. Driving around on base most of the time and when you do go off base the furthest "trip" you'll be making is around 50-60 miles round trip. Most of that is between 40-50 mph and you're lucky to set the cruise control on 60mph for like 8-10 miles on 1 stretch of road.

All in all, I'm happy. I'm gonna take the wife and kids out this Sunday afternoon and get the KJ out off the beaten path and hit the trails a little. I'll do my best to get some pics while we're out.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help please!!!

My mind is going crazy as my liberty is getting from what I think, brutal gas mileage.

Last tank I got was 350 km to 1 tank of gas. It then cost me $60.47 cdn to fill up at 1.14 /L

If I calculated this correctly I am using 15.1 Liters per 100km, which translates to, 15.6 MPG...

I am almost sure I got 400-450km last year, which is around 19.1 MPG give or take.

I do 50% H - 50% C

Is something wrong here?

Wait till you put the lift on :D

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Help please!!!

I do 50% H - 50% C

Is something wrong here?

Maybe it's time for a tuneup...plugs, oil/fluids, filters, etc...

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Divide the number of gallons by the number of miles driven.You got a trip counter on the odemeter.Evic's are really off in MPG readings anyway.

I was going to get a ScanGauge II, but it a bit on the pricey side..$169.99/shipped.

Members online

No members online now.