The Official "My Gas Mileage *****" Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dnm45227

Reaction score
I kinda feel it lacks in initial p/u too, but it's trying to move 2+ tons of metal. I realize it's not a sports car, but a little more pep would be nice.

cherokee_renegade06

Reaction score
Has any of you guys used or have heard of Hiclone (www.hiclone.com.au)? It's like a stator that you put into your air hose after the air filter and it is suppose to create a vortex swirl. I'm currently trialling it. The dude that sells it gave me a 60-day trial period. I took KayJay for a 1200km trip over easter (that's just 1-way and I didn't even leave the state. We have pretty big states here in oz) and and it didn't seem to make any difference. Mind you, when I first put them on I did 10.5l/100k's around town & about 9.3l/100k's on the freeway, which was spectacular. Then I tried putting a second one downstream then I took it off again, now I can repeat it. I'm stuck on about 11/12.5l/100k's highway/city driving.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mileage stinks too

I've found that around town my mileage stinks and on the highway it's ok (low 20's), but seriously, I drive this thing like I stole it all the time. It's way too much fun. I have also found that 4LO is NOT the place to be if mileage is a concern. But, alas, if mileage was a concern of mine I'd be driving some wee import thing and not my KJ. If you really want to talk about bad mileage, I've got a 90hp Yamaha outboard that gets less than 4 mpg.

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cherokee_renegade06 said:
Has any of you guys used or have heard of Hiclone (www.hiclone.com.au)? It's like a stator that you put into your air hose after the air filter and it is suppose to create a vortex swirl. I'm currently trialling it. The dude that sells it gave me a 60-day trial period. I took KayJay for a 1200km trip over easter (that's just 1-way and I didn't even leave the state. We have pretty big states here in oz) and and it didn't seem to make any difference. Mind you, when I first put them on I did 10.5l/100k's around town & about 9.3l/100k's on the freeway, which was spectacular. Then I tried putting a second one downstream then I took it off again, now I can repeat it. I'm stuck on about 11/12.5l/100k's highway/city driving.

There are a lot of products out there that say that they will increase power, mileage, etc. I don't know if australia has anything comparable to the EPA, but here in the US the EPA hasn't approved ANY of those devices as having made a significant impact on gas mileage. Pretty much the only results they get are placebo. Good that you can get your money back for it, though, are you going to?

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: the best gas ever

Liber said:
The other day I was stuck behind a stopped bus. I had a car approaching from behind in the other lane about 20 yards back. So I put the pedal to the floor, pulled out infront of the car... the engine almost red lined and I almost got hit cause the friggin jeep did not move forward. It's like a barking dog that has no teeth.

I blame this on a 4 speed auto trans. I almost feel it would pay off (in a year or two) to try and locate a 5 speed, then try and sell the 4 speed. I wonder how much that would cost.

Step up to the 6 speed, you'll love it! I've never had a problem of not enough off-the-line power, except when I forget what gear I'm in and try to take off from a stop in 4th or merge on a highway offramp while still in 6th. Fuel Efficiency++, Tire Roasting Possibility++, Shifting never needing to be adjusted for tire size++. Being able to beat ricers off the line, ++++. (keeping up with them past 20mph is another story, though :-D)

cherokee_renegade06

Reaction score
Se7enLC said:
cherokee_renegade06 said:

There are a lot of products out there that say that they will increase power, mileage, etc. I don't know if australia has anything comparable to the EPA, but here in the US the EPA hasn't approved ANY of those devices as having made a significant impact on gas mileage. Pretty much the only results they get are placebo. Good that you can get your money back for it, though, are you going to?

Yeah. looking at returning it & getting my money back. I've driven it everywhere with & without it, and it makes no diff whatsover. quite dissapointing.

millman44

Reaction score
The problem with the Liberty , and let's stick with the 3.7 gas motor. Is the size of the gas tank. My previous compact car had a 15 gal. tank. My Liberty has a 18.5 gal. tank. It weighs twice as much and has a much larger engine. You can't put a tinker toy gas tank in a suv! I don't know who the genius was at Chrysler Jeep who thought a 18.5 gal. tank was large enough, but he needs his engineering degree revoked. I average around 19 mpg running to work and back every day. About 22 mpg is the best I've recorded on a trip. This is on par with other suv's in it's class, so it's not that bad at gas mileage, it just needs a 25 gal. tank it. Also you guys that wrote in showing your mileage above 20 mpg according to your on board computer. Well, don't believe it. Iv'e found these things to be highly inaccurate, try figuring it out the old fashion way , with math. And yuo'll see your actual results.

GregScuba

Reaction score
In reply to the previous post... I beleive that the tank is small to affford better departure angle clearance. The rear area of the KJ is fairly small in comparison to many other SUV's.

crazylimited

Reaction score
what is the volumn of the tank?
yesterday the pointer showed 1/4 of the fuel remaining in the fuel tank, I made the tank ful with 45 liter, so my tank is roughly 60 liter, is that correct?

2003KJ

Reaction score
crazylimited said:
what is the volumn of the tank?
yesterday the pointer showed 1/4 of the fuel remaining in the fuel tank, I made the tank ful with 45 liter, so my tank is roughly 60 liter, is that correct?

What year is your jeep? I'm not quite sure of the year changes, but there are different size tanks in the KJ. 02-04(?) have 18.5 gallons, the others have I believe 19.5 gallon tanks. I'm sure Marlon or somebody who knows it like the back of their hand will chime in here O:)

crazylimited

Reaction score
my jeep is 2002 Limited.
my friend said that even the pointer points to the "empty", there still some gas in the pipes, so it still will run for 20 or 30 kilos.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it was £1 a litre of diesel here, we sometimes paid £60ish for fuel.

60 litres it is! (+/- a few)

For the record I average about 10L/100km, which is about 28.2 mpg - that's with the CRD mentioned in my sig. Mostly town driving, some long distance.

Just out of interest, does anyone here have 2 tanks in their KJ (ie. about 120 L total for long journeys)?

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ENBr -

If you're getting that kind of mileage out of your CRD, you must be driving a H... of a lot slower than I drove mine - and down-hill with a tail wind, to boot. :-s

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol - i'm not really a slow driver.

Wind is possible :-k And there are quite a few hills \:D/

Well maybe there's something wrong with my conversion: i still get 10L/100km

so, 1L/10km

1L/6miles

so 6 miles per litre

0.22 gallons for 1 litre

27.3 ish mpg

bit better? :)

Havoline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, yeah - can't fault your math. Maybe my foot was a bit too heavy with my CRD. If I got out on the road, got it up to 60 mph or so, re-set the computer, and stayed at that speed for 10 or 12 miles, I'd see 26 - 26.5 mpg. Real world, day-to-day, though, I was getting closer to 20 for combined city/highway. (Our new 2007 with the 3.7 V6 is already getting 18 - 18.5 for the same usage, and it's only got a little over 900 miles on it.) I have heard it said that the #2 diesel fuel sold here in "the colonies" is quite a bit lower cetane than what's available in the UK and Europe. At any rate, 87 octane "petrol" has been running anywhere from 30 to 60 cents per gallon less than diesel, so I figure I'm still ahead of the game. \:D/

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol - so you now see why most of us europeans are moving to diesel?

EDIT:

I feel awkward: I reset my mpg-o-meter, and drove to my campus and back and averaged about 13.9L/100km

so thats about 20.9mpg in the city, and then the 28mpg out...

My mistake!

Transporter

Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting less than 16mpg. I have the 3.7. My driving is probably 50/50 city/highway. Is there something I can check myself or is a trip to the dealership in order?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Transporter said:
Ok, I'm getting less than 16mpg. I have the 3.7. My driving is probably 50/50 city/highway. Is there something I can check myself or is a trip to the dealership in order?
Ouch. Something is wrong there unless you drive like a bat out of hell. =P~ From my experience, the 3.7L won't even reach full mileage potential until about 10-12k.

BTW: Tim, '02 and '03 had 18.5G tanks, '04 had a 19.5G tank, and '05-'07 has a 20.5G tank. The '08 will have a 19.5G tank. Oops, did I say that? :-s

(Yes I know your post was old.)