Tailgate Lock Failure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordan3757

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forum here. I've been reading posts for some time, but just now had a reason to sign up and post myself... there's a lot of great info here!

I was wondering if someone might have some information about the tailgate locking mechanism. A week or so ago, I noticed what I then thought to be the lift glass latch getting stuck. Then it clicked with me that the latch wasn't stuck, it just wasn't activating because the tailgate was SUPPOSED to be locked but was opening up freely! I pulled the tailgate interior panel off and tested the power to the actuator/solenoid that locks the tailgate latch and it checks out with what my Haynes manual told me I should be getting. For now I manually activated the lock inside the door.

Any ideas on what has gone bad? I've searched the FSM's part listing, but I can't find anything other than the latch itself. It seems to be two different parts in there -- a solenoid or actuator to flip the "lock" switch and the latch itself.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the solenoid that locks the door isnt locking the door?

The door and glass open just fine, correctly?

If you checked to make sure the solenoid is getting power than that leaves one thing thats bad, right?

jordan3757

Reaction score
Right. That was what I deduced. Trouble is, all I'm seeing is the part number for the latch -- no solenoid. Anybody have that part number or any advice?