Rear swing gate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
But of a strange one here… on my 2002 KJ Limited when I unlocked the door with the remote it unlocked fine but the latch at the rear swing gate was constantly clicking as if it was trying lock and unlock rapidly. Also noticed I had no power to anything and it wouldn’t start. I managed to get the door panel opened enough to manually unlock the door to get the swing gate open but now the glass won’t close. I even tried jump starting it to see if I could get it to start that way and still nothing. I unplugged the power to the rear latch and tried starting it again and still got nothing. I was also driving it just fine maybe at most a half hour before this happened. I guess there’s a reason why I call my Libby Gremlin! Any thoughts on a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The glass latch is probably still closed from pulling the swing door open.

If you know were to poke in there with a screwdriver, you can pop it open pretty easy. If you take off the pastic panel inside, it is really obvious. I believe the metal part below the black plastic "shoe" has to be clicked downward.

The top edge of the plastic interior panel has to pop up, not forward, or you break all the tabs off.

I just got thru changing my faulty latch (took it off parts KJ) and it was all pretty straightforward.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
I was able to get the door/window open by manually unlocking the door from the inside of the door panel. The positive terminal has minimal corrosion but not much and the negative is clean. Even after unplugging the electrical connector for the rear latch I still can’t get it to start. I did see something about a security mode that it may be in but not sure as I’d assume there would still be power to everything even if it was in the anti theft security mode. Hope this helps.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I would disconnect your battery … while you clean the terminals and clamps, if you can see corrosion, it may be inside the clamped connection as well. Let it sit for a bit before reconnecting. Bad connections can cause all kinds of crazy “Gremlins”. Fingers crossed!

Hopefully someone will chime in about the anti-theft… I have no clue! ;)

KJGremlin

Reaction score
I would disconnect your battery … while you clean the terminals and clamps, if you can see corrosion, it may be inside the clamped connection as well. Let it sit for a bit before reconnecting. Bad connections can cause all kinds of crazy “Gremlins”. Fingers crossed!

Hopefully someone will chime in about the anti-theft… I have no clue! ;)
I’m hoping it’s something simple. I just replaced the water pump and this was the first time driving it since replacing it so it ***** that I can’t drive it again all of a sudden.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know about the anti-theft (2005) is you have to use the original type key with the fob. Having a generic key cut (off an original) wont start the jeep. The fob has to be in proximity of the ignition/jeep.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
A weak battery can cause odd things to happen. My first indication of a dying battery was the rear glass opening instead of the engine starting. Once the glass latch releases (from opening the door without any battery) it won't accept the glass latch because the latch never really released. The latch needs power to release and be open to the loop on the glass. Could be the latch mechanism is bad or gummed up too but that shouldn't affect starting.

KJGremlin

Reaction score
So… after replacing the battery with a new one I found 2 things out. The first is that the old battery is from 2011 and after taking the old one out I realized that there is a melted electrical connector that’s more than likely to source of why it’s not starting. The problem now is I don’t know electrical or wiring very well so not sure how to go about replacing it as I think my only option would be either getting it towed to a shop or finding a mobile mechanic to do it. If it’s fairly straight forward to change I may try it on my own to save some $. I’ll also include a picture or 2 of the connector which is located immediately behind the battery.

Attachments

• IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    240.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0522.jpeg
    IMG_0522.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 12

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That positive terminal looks pretty bad. I’d suggest you consider replacing it before too much longer.