Switching stock tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for some feedback on a couple of items. First off I am currently running the stock tires on my '06.(235 70 R16 ) I was given some brand new stock wheels and tires from a more recent Jeep Wrangler. The wheels won't fit because they have a 5 x 5 lug pattern verses the 5 x 4.5 log pattern that I need. The new tires are 225 75 R16 Wrangler ST's and I was thinking of installing them on my Liberty. Are there any issues that this may cause? Looking at the charts these will be slightly taller and slightly narrower.

Free new tires are hard to pass up.

Secondly, my stock wheels are doing the classic peeling of paint. As I was never a fan of the stock wheels, I have been looking for an in expensive replacement. I have a line on a set of 17" wheels that will fit and at a good price. My thought is to get them, powder coat them and then install them with the next set of tires. Typical discussions on here go to 15" and 16" wheels. Any real problems with 17" wheels other than tire selection?

Another more expensive option would be to sell the 5x5 wheels with the 225's on them, get the 17" wheels and then buy tires to fit.

I'm just weighing my options.

-Thanks

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
225/75/16 was a factory option...so that'll work.

I have 17s and I love them, but I'm lifted so I run a 245/70/17...stock you'd be looking for a 235/65 or 245/65 if you want. The all terrain selection for those isn't great, but it's good enough. I think it'd be a good option.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for some feedback on a couple of items. First off I am currently running the stock tires on my '06.(235 70 R16 ) I was given some brand new stock wheels and tires from a more recent Jeep Wrangler. The wheels won't fit because they have a 5 x 5 lug pattern verses the 5 x 4.5 log pattern that I need. The new tires are 225 75 R16 Wrangler ST's and I was thinking of installing them on my Liberty. Are there any issues that this may cause? Looking at the charts these will be slightly taller and slightly narrower.

Free new tires are hard to pass up.

Secondly, my stock wheels are doing the classic peeling of paint. As I was never a fan of the stock wheels, I have been looking for an in expensive replacement. I have a line on a set of 17" wheels that will fit and at a good price. My thought is to get them, powder coat them and then install them with the next set of tires. Typical discussions on here go to 15" and 16" wheels. Any real problems with 17" wheels other than tire selection?

Another more expensive option would be to sell the 5x5 wheels with the 225's on them, get the 17" wheels and then buy tires to fit.

I'm just weighing my options.

-Thanks
Sell them and buy the right wheels if you think you need other wheels
Stick with 16 inch tires easier to find in that size

nohitter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I value the input. I passed on the 17" wheels as I am not ready to spend the money to make them work right now. I went ahead and replaced the warn garbage Wrangler SA'S I have been running with the garbage new ST'S to buy some time. We'll see if it was worth the 200 bucks. Mama's vehicle needs tires too and the way she drives I need to get decent tires[emoji6]

I now have 5 like new stock 16" wheels with a 5 x 5 pattern. I'll see if I can recoup some of the $200. Maybe I can make some hose reels out of them.....

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:happy175:

It's good to have a sense of humor about stuff like that. :waytogo:

Buddy of mine has a Mazdaspeed MX-5 (SUPER rare). He actually found one in a Junkyard with 3 rims and bought them all because he kept bending them and they were 600 a pop directly from Japan.

Long story short last time I was at his house I noticed he had a very nice decorative hose wheel :icon_lol: