Swapping instrument cluster, help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ztel

Reaction score
I'm replacing my instrument cluster. 02 (Liberty Sport, 4x4 3.7L)

I'm Canadian, and prefer my guages in KMs.
Found a good deal on a cluster from the States.

a) If I simply swap my cluster out and use my original display mat, (with KMs on it) will it display the proper speed? Or would it have to be reconfigured in some way?

b) Will the odometer retain its current value and display in KMs?

I've already removed and reinstalled the original cluster, and the odometer is the same, so I suspect that information is stored in the computer and not the cluster. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Believe all of that information is, indeed stored in the computer. So I believe you're good to go.

Computer will be programmed for Canadian Export.

Edit - sorry was only referring to the speedo. Odo I wasn't sure on.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The used cluster will not display your current mileage,it will display the mileage of the vehicle taken out of.The mileage is stored in the IC.You will need to have it programmed with your mileage to read what yours currently has on it.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No its stores in a chip in the cluster. You absolutely HAVE to put a sticker somewhere (glovebox preferably) stating there was a cluster swap and at how many miles/kms and keep paperwork. It's illegal to do so if you don't especially if you sell the vehicle
As mentioned above, you can get it programmed but take it to a shop and have them swap if there so there aren't any discrepancies

2002 Jeep Liberty 3.7L with brand new engine ;)
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online