Sirius Radio Question - Update?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

heavenbound

Reaction score
I have a factory radio in my 2006 Limited that is Sirius/XM capable. I was contacted with a free trial subscription, which I have enjoyed, and I would like to continue using it. The only issue is, I only get so many of the channels and I am not able to receive others (newer additions to their lineup.) I contacted Sirius, and after finally speaking with tech support, I was told that my receiver was one of the older ones, which was only capable of a certain amount of channels, so I would not be able to receive the new ones with my current equipment.

My question is this: Is it possible to update only the Sirius receiver, or is it all built into the radio? If I would need to replace the entire radio, what options are available without some ugly aftermarket force-fit job?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
BY the sounds of it (or lack of) a more powerful aftermarket head unit would be the best way to go. That would immediately improve sound quality, reception & channels.
Or...you can get for $99 the Starmate 8 for around $100. This would work with your existing car stereo.
Link:Starmate 8 with Vehicle Kit - Shop - SiriusXM Radio
I updated to a Pioneer head unit with remote, blue tooth telephone/ USB Flash input, direct mini inputs, Sirius etc.
54402[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• JeepInterior2.jpg
    JeepInterior2.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tim - there are a lot of aftermarket options out there that will fit perfectly in the OEM radio slot that include Sirius radio.

My factory radio/CD player flat out quit one day so I went to crutchfield.com and starting poking around. I bought a JVC head unit with Sirius, bluetooth, hands-free calling, etc and installed it in the factory slot. Wasn't satisfied for a bunch of reasons and returned the unit (on their dime) and Crutchfield gave me 100% credit toward a new Pioneer double-din unit. Gets all the Sirius channels with an outboard receiver that tucks into the dash, has navigation, hands-free calling, Pandora, backup camera blah blah blah. Works great :party52: It DOES require some mods to the internal part of the dash with a Dremel tool but was only about a 10 minute project.

You must be registered for see images

Bob

Last edited:

heavenbound

Reaction score
Maybe I should have specified that anything other than a VERY simple replacement is beyond me. I know nothing about radio installation. I'm fine with the sound quality I have as well. I guess what I was wondering was, is the tuner built into my stereo, or can I keep my stereo and just replace the tuner with a newer one. (and if I can, where is the satellite tuner located?)

Last edited:

heavenbound

Reaction score
I also have the bluetooth/phone option with the controls on the rear-view mirror, which I'd hate to lose, or to make those buttons useless.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe I should have specified that anything other than a VERY simple replacement is beyond me. I know nothing about radio installation. I'm fine with the sound quality I have as well. I guess what I was wondering was, is the tuner built into my stereo, or can I keep my stereo and just replace the tuner with a newer one. (and if I can, where is the satellite tuner located?)
If you order a radio from a reputable company like Crutchfield they will make sure you have all the cables and adapters you need. If you're not replacing the speakers it will be as easy as plugging in a lamp. You plug one end of the adapter cable into the radio and the other end into the Jeep factory wiring plug. No soldering, no splicing, just "click".

I also have the bluetooth/phone option with the controls on the rear-view mirror, which I'd hate to lose, or to make those buttons useless.
Bluetooth is designed to be a (nearly) universal PAN (Personal Area Network). I would do some research beforehand, but there's no technical reason why it shouldn't work just fine.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Your stock tuner is built in to the oem unit & is outdated.
You could call a dealer and ask them for a direct fit updated replacement, at around $1000 & plus install labor though.
However, the wattage from a new aftermarket one is superior in sound.
I bought my new Pioneer installed it myself, no problem with the bezel kit & wiring connectors and antenna adapter. Radio was $340.
The stereo shop would have charged me $225 for labor, so I am glad I did it myself.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a quick alternative is just buying a cheap external XM receiver and play through an AUX input through your HU.

eg.
XM Onyx EZ Satellite Radio Receiver with PowerConnect Vehicle Kit Black XEZ1V1 - Best Buy

Wow, this looks like just what I need. I'm like the OP, stock sounds good enough to me and don't want to mess with the rest of the stuff. In my case, I don't hear that well anyway and since the quality of any sound is only as good as your hearing, this would be sufficient. :gr_grin::rocking:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd vote for the replacement head unit. With modern install and wiring kits it'd be easier than what the XM kit appears to be. Plus Libby's ain't got that much usable space for another doo-daad.

Bob

heavenbound

Reaction score
Well, it turns out, Sirius is sending me a new "Stratus 7" receiver with vehicle kit for free since we are new subscribers. It is supposed to hook up via FM signal or an aux. wire. I don't have an aux port on the front of my radio. I have the model with the 6 CD in dash changer. Is there a port on the rear of the radio, or no?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
As far as I know, If you want to still use the cd changer, the radio would have to be modified to add an aux input.
If you are ok not to use the cd changer anymore, the 10 pin jack in the back can be utilized to plug into the Sirius 7 with a new cable.
Lots of info in google, search : " jeep liberty radio with 6 cd add an aux input? "

heavenbound

Reaction score
Oops, one last question. The antenna: Is the factory Satellite antenna wire separate from the regular antenna wire where it plugs into the factory stereo? Can I just remove the radio and unplug it and plug it into the Stratus 7, or do I need to install a new, separate SiriusXM antenna? (one came in the kit)

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the factory setup because mine didn't have it. I used the antenna that came with the radio.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC most manufacturers supplying a Sirius/XM module for their OEM radios specified their own antenna connectors which are NOT compatible with standalone Sirius/XM radios....use the supplied one....YMMV

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This's I find this is an interesting post.

I used to have an XM satellite radio in my Jeep with a FM transmitter to interface it with my radio.

I've installed an aftermarket Kenwood deck in my 04 Liberty which I thought came complete with Bluetooth & Satellite radio options only to realize after I installed it that those were purchasable.

My aftermarket deck does function with my iPod devices but recently I discovered that my iPhone 6 won't. So I'm searching for an update for my deck.
It happens to have a USB port so I am imagining that I can put an update on a USB stick and plug it in.
Has anybody else had experience with updating their aftermarket decks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops, one last question. The antenna: Is the factory Satellite antenna wire separate from the regular antenna wire where it plugs into the factory stereo? Can I just remove the radio and unplug it and plug it into the Stratus 7, or do I need to install a new, separate SiriusXM antenna? (one came in the kit)

The antenna for satellite radio is a small, teardrop-shaped unit that has a magnet on the bottom so it can be attached to the roof. Mine is right behind the light bar on the passenger side roof; I also thought about putting it right beside the front attachment point for the the factory roof rails.

Run the wire along the seam for the roof rails then down the slot between the front pillar and the windshield. At the bottom of the windshield bring the wire around behind the weatherstripping to the access panel on the side of the dash. Remove that panel and thread the antenna wire behind the glove box and through an opening right behind the factory radio.

There's room to tuck the Sirius receiver up and behind the radio. Plug the antenna wire into the Sirius receiver then plug the antenna receiver into the Stratus 7 head unit. The antenna install will look factory and nobody will know it's there :waytogo:

Bob

Latest posts

Members online