RIP Jeepy 2004-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3.7 peaks it's hp at 5200 rpm, then it drops off beyond that point. Taking it up to redline (5800) really isn't necessary since you're well beyond the engines optimum power band. Winding the engine to the maximum is like stretching a rubber band to it's limit. When it gets old, and/or not taken care of the best, you're pressing your luck. On the other end of the spectrum, I can't think of any engines I've seen that puked a rod through the block while idling. ;)

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time no see guys. Someone was asking about getting a Liberty on a subreddit and it reminded me of this forum. Its been 3.5 years since I killed the Liberty. Person we sold it to rebuilt it and is still driving it to this day. Moved on from the Wrangler and picked up this a month ago. Love the truck so far. Have a full time job so I can actually afford to modify it.

You must be registered for see images

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If mom only put 37k on it in 8 years, that's an average of 4625 miles per year; and apparently it sat when there was snow? So, it sat for a least 3-4 months out of the year.

Too many dry starts anyone? That'll wear out the bearings pretty good. Then give it to a new driver..? Yeah, neglect plus new driver/first-time vehicle owner usually equals a dead car/truck/jeep.

Sorry to hear. Next time, mom needs to drive it more and let it sit less often.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long time no see guys. Someone was asking about getting a Liberty on a subreddit and it reminded me of this forum. Its been 3.5 years since I killed the Liberty. Person we sold it to rebuilt it and is still driving it to this day. Moved on from the Wrangler and picked up this a month ago. Love the truck so far. Have a full time job so I can actually afford to modify it.

Take care of this one.

I looked at these. I was between the color you got and the blue. Problem is with all the options I wanted, I was looking at a 40-45k truck that was near impossible to find at the time (TRD Offroad, E-locker, manual).

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If mom only put 37k on it in 8 years, that's an average of 4625 miles per year; and apparently it sat when there was snow? So, it sat for a least 3-4 months out of the year.

Too many dry starts anyone? That'll wear out the bearings pretty good. Then give it to a new driver..? Yeah, neglect plus new driver/first-time vehicle owner usually equals a dead car/truck/jeep.

Sorry to hear. Next time, mom needs to drive it more and let it sit less often.

Mechanic said oil pump burned out. Should have pulled over when I heard clanking noises but I was close so I thought I could make it. Still miss that truck but love my new one.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take care of this one.

I looked at these. I was between the color you got and the blue. Problem is with all the options I wanted, I was looking at a 40-45k truck that was near impossible to find at the time (TRD Offroad, E-locker, manual).

40-45k?? Is that for the truck itself or Out the Door?? I paid 35.5k before taxes and fees. Its an 2017 automatic TRD Off Road with 5 foot bed. Came with running boards, all weather mats, door sill protector, pinstripe, and had dealer install remote start. Love the inferno color. Red was a close 2nd and even thought the blue looks good I just couldn't drive a 3rd straight blue truck.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
40-45k?? Is that for the truck itself or Out the Door?? I paid 35.5k before taxes and fees. Its an 2017 automatic TRD Off Road with 5 foot bed. Came with running boards, all weather mats, door sill protector, pinstripe, and had dealer install remote start. Love the inferno color. Red was a close 2nd and even thought the blue looks good I just couldn't drive a 3rd straight blue truck.

Still crazy prices, can't pay that much for just a vehicle.
Keep thinking back when I was in my early 20s and paid cash for over 120 acre farm with barns, outbuildings, all machinery, liveable house, 2 garages etc for under that price :happy175:
Man how times have changed
Oh and my brand new 76 F150 with 302, air, etc was 4600 out the door :gr_grin:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still crazy prices, can't pay that much for just a vehicle.
Keep thinking back when I was in my early 20s and paid cash for over 120 acre farm with barns, outbuildings, all machinery, liveable house, 2 garages etc for under that price :happy175:
Man how times have changed
Oh and my brand new 76 F150 with 302, air, etc was 4600 out the door :gr_grin:

Old pfart.....oh wait, I remember those prices too....LOL That was when you could go to mickey d's and get a burger, fries and a coke and still get change from your dollar, and gas was 30 cents a gallon normally or 25 cents a gallon when they had a gas war.....LOL.......

Dave

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got back truck today. New rear bumper with built in steps and LED pods, front window tint matches rear, hard cover. Getting new front bumper, hidden light bar, and some small stuff in 3 weeks. Feels great to actually mod my own vehicle.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad you're not closer, I wanna buy that dead libby lol

Died at 56k.......I better have 200k on that before mine dies. Sitting at 216k now. No vehicle should reach the end of its life before 100k. Period. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Ps. You're wasting your money if you get one of those Haynes manuals from autozone.
You can find the complete Liberty service manual online and download it for free. Keep in on your computer or whatever, and print off things as you need.
Haynes manuals are good for......well...fires or a booster seat and that's about all. Half the information you need isn't there, and the other half is wrong or missing steps. Don't waste your time..

Last edited:

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also. Nice choice on the truck, tacomas wouldn't be my choice, but I'm not going to knock anyone who chooses one. Reliable and long lasting choice there.
Plus. I dig the bumper.

Needed a pickup for work. Could have gone for a lower trim full size but are a little big for what I need and I wanted the bells and whistles. Was stuck for weeks between Tacoma and Colorado. Ultimately chose the Tacoma because of better looks, reliable, found the color I wanted and got a good deal. Got a 7yr/100k platinum warranty just to be safe.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's too bad you're not closer, I wanna buy that dead libby lol

Died at 56k.......I better have 200k on that before mine dies. Sitting at 216k now. No vehicle should reach the end of its life before 100k. Period. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Ps. You're wasting your money if you get one of those Haynes manuals from autozone.
You can find the complete Liberty service manual online and download it for free. Keep in on your computer or whatever, and print off things as you need.
Haynes manuals are good for......well...fires or a booster seat and that's about all. Half the information you need isn't there, and the other half is wrong or missing steps. Don't waste your time..

I think that's a bit of hyperbole there... I had Haynes manuals for half a dozen vehicles since I started driving in 1997... they were basic, yes, but it had everything I needed to make any repair that I was able to do or willing to try. If a certain procedure or spec was not in that book, my local library had Chilton's manuals going back 40 years.

Haynes is a great manual for the DIY of low to moderate skill level. Anyone with higher skill can figure out the disassembly and repairs themselves and likely doesn't need one.

Perhaps it was the vehicles for which I owned the manuals, or maybe newer publications are different, but I never found mine to be missing steps or wrong, just sometimes no picture and the steps were too abbreviated to understand.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needed a pickup for work. Could have gone for a lower trim full size but are a little big for what I need and I wanted the bells and whistles. Was stuck for weeks between Tacoma and Colorado. Ultimately chose the Tacoma because of better looks, reliable, found the color I wanted and got a good deal. Got a 7yr/100k platinum warranty just to be safe.

Isn't the Colorado just a rebadged Isuzu? When I was looking for a truck I considered the Colorado briefly then found I could get a little more truck for the money.

I like the Tacoma, they keep their value pretty well too. Never need the warranty for much on our sienna, biggest use was to repair the radio, it's one of those factory JBL deals where it's hard to replace with anything but another JBL radio. Previous owners kids put coins in the CD slot, according to the invoice it was a $500 repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's a bit of hyperbole there... I had Haynes manuals for half a dozen vehicles since I started driving in 1997... they were basic, yes, but it had everything I needed to make any repair that I was able to do or willing to try. If a certain procedure or spec was not in that book, my local library had Chilton's manuals going back 40 years.

Haynes is a great manual for the DIY of low to moderate skill level. Anyone with higher skill can figure out the disassembly and repairs themselves and likely doesn't need one.

Perhaps it was the vehicles for which I owned the manuals, or maybe newer publications are different, but I never found mine to be missing steps or wrong, just sometimes no picture and the steps were too abbreviated to understand.

For cars like the old Cherokee, civic, Aerostar, f150-350, fifth ave, bronco, they were pretty decent, basic but decent. Last Haynes I bought was for my f150, it was just about useless, I end up printing out the instructions from the internet instead of using that book. I don't think they even develop books for the newer cars, like the Commander, never could find a book so I bought the factory manual, which while voluminous had gaps in its instructions too. Try pulling the engine following step by step, it goes to remove intake then attach adapter plat for the lift never mentioning to get the intake off the engine has to be supported while the bolts for the engine mounts are removed then lower the engine to remove the intake. Not mentioned In the 4 volume jeep manual.

I'm not against Haynes they have been useful in the past, I do remember being frustrated by gaps in their instructions however they can be very useful. Funny to look though my old Haynes books now, the grease stained pages usually mark whatever repair I was attempting at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I was looking when dealers didn't have much as far as inventory and prices were being gauged because of it. I called a dealer and asked him about the trucks and the guy told me he couldn't keep one on his lot.

Pricing on the website puts the configuration that I want (simply because I want a power sunroof and backup camera) to about 37k before fees (technology package...)

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking when dealers didn't have much as far as inventory and prices were being gauged because of it. I called a dealer and asked him about the trucks and the guy told me he couldn't keep one on his lot.

Pricing on the website puts the configuration that I want (simply because I want a power sunroof and backup camera) to about 37k before fees (technology package...)

You have to check every dealers website. Toyota of Scranton and Glenside PA each have 60+ Tacos in stock. Dealers in Westchester had next to nothing in Tacoma inventory. Only decent truck out of 4 dealers was a black 6ft Off Road with no tech package or add ons. I ended up getting mine in Toms River where they have about 2 dozen in stock. Would have liked the tech package but the only Off Road they had was a black 6ft bed. Black is a pain to keep clean and bed is too big, have a tight driveway.

As soon as I saw the Inferno I had to have it.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to check every dealers website. Toyota of Scranton and Glenside PA each have 60+ Tacos in stock. Dealers in Westchester had next to nothing in Tacoma inventory. Only decent truck out of 4 dealers was a black 6ft Off Road with no tech package or add ons. I ended up getting mine in Toms River where they have about 2 dozen in stock. Would have liked the tech package but the only Off Road they had was a black 6ft bed. Black is a pain to keep clean and bed is too big, have a tight driveway.

As soon as I saw the Inferno I had to have it.
Funny. I pass the Toms River dealership constantly and noticed all their Tacos. Never stopped in though because at that point I picked up a DD to stop driving the Jeep as much.

crazyjeepkid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally went off roading at AOAA in Coal Township, PA after wanting to go ever since I got my permit 7 years ago. Here are some pics, I had a blast. I would definitely go with you guys on green/blues. Gonna get skids and sliders next year.

You must be registered for see images attach