Replacing inner tie rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to replace my inner tie rod on the driver side and was wondering if I need any special tools to do so. I have not removed the boot yet to look and see what is back there. What tools will I need?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
A large crescent wrench.Turn the wheels so the one needing replacement is extended,remove tie rod end from spindle,turn it off the inner,counting the turns/threads to do so(that will allow replacement in about same position) clean threads in rack well,use lock-tite when reinstalling inner rod.

Midgear

Reaction score
I reckon its gonna be a *****&ahalf because I could'nt even get my wrench around the damn thing, I couldn't see how a larger wrench would have any kind of clearance under there either- even with the wheel turned to lock.

Good thing mine were still in decent shape.. Didn't mess with them much.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ridenby!

Just dont want to have to spend any extra on tools I will only use once.

Simpleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately one on a tight budget. I am truly tired of putting money into this thing. Jeep will not be remembered for this model.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Unfortunately one on a tight budget. I am truly tired of putting money into this thing. Jeep will not be remembered for this model.

Just look at all the new skills you learn and practice. Bet 3/4 the the guys you know have no clue where to even start. ;)

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am going to replace my inner tie rod and outer tie rod end.

- does the inner tie rod need to be torqued? if so, to what?
- does the jam nut need to be torqued or just hand tightened?

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
am going to replace my inner tie rod and outer tie rod end.

- does the inner tie rod need to be torqued? if so, to what?
- does the jam nut need to be torqued or just hand tightened?

Not sure about the inner tie rod but I'm sure it does need to be torqued. It's 58 ft/lbs on my 2011 Avenger if that can be used as any sort of a target. May have to get the torque to loosen and guesstimate from there.

As for the Jam nut, from my 02 FSM:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 29

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldnt find anything on teh google or other interwebs so i ended up calling moog. after about 10 mins on hold they came back with apply threadlock and torque to 50-55lbs/ft.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How you gonna measure the torque on a "large crescent wrench"?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does that slide over the whole tie rod once you remove the ball joint?
I remember using an adjustable crescent to try and remove a tie rod on a Dodge Neon, if I remember correctly, I gave up in the end because I thought the rack was about to snap. I was using my foot on the crescent and holding the front of the chassis.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it fits over the whole inner tie rod. The big crescent would be fine for removal but you can torque the thing with this tool. It does work, I've used mine a couple times.

Sum22

Reaction score
Sorry to bring a dead thread back, but what size hex adapter does the Inner Tie rod remover use? I noticed I can rent/borrow one from auto zone, but it only comes with a 1-3/16" or 1-5/16 in hex. Would either give me the correct fit? If so, I'm thinking I might try and tackle this job myself.

Latest posts

Members online