recall for rear gas tank/trailer hitch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had this done yet, I had to take the libby in the other day for rusted ****** cooler lines, and when i mentioned it to them about the hitch, they said that Chrysler hasn't had them start it yet. I thought this was suppose to be done back in July. It even shows up under my insurance companies list of recalls/campaigns as of July.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at the dealer yesterday here in Denver and was told some dealers are getting parts in for it, which I'm guessing means the hitches and hardware. Don't worry you'll get ur "free" hitch soon enough.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything here either. I guess they haven't started yet. Probably still waiting on getting the parts.

I already have a hitch and skid anyway.

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It only came out in July, they have to get all of the hitches made and delivered. Do you think they had that many hitches already sitting in a warehouse just waiting?
Nothing like this happens overnight and this shouldn't be happening at all really.

JeepOwner07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could care less about this hitch itself, I've had the libby since 2009 with out one. My only issue is, since i was there getting something else done, i might as well get it done then. Save another trip. To me it's not FREE. I payed and am still paying for the libby, technically, its a pretty damn expensive hitch haha, but if its gonna be given then ill take it. I don't see anything wrong with that and am sick of all the nay sayers.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i could care less about this hitch itself, I've had the libby since 2009 with out one. My only issue is, since i was there getting something else done, i might as well get it done then. Save another trip. To me it's not FREE. I payed and am still paying for the libby, technically, its a pretty damn expensive hitch haha, but if its gonna be given then ill take it. I don't see anything wrong with that and am sick of all the nay sayers.
Once they have the parts then you can get it done.If they don't have the parts they can't do it,simple as that.It's going to take some time to make 1 million plus hitches.I'd wager it will be closer to the end of next year before they have all the parts made,maybe in 6 months they may start taking KJ's in for limited availability of parts.

It's there time table not yours and it is free since you bought a KJ without a hitch.Those that came with a hitch payed extra for that hitch which you did not.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo, who all is taking their hitch off that they added? I am I am!

I's getting me a free mopar hitch! Then putting it on ebay for someone to buy that doesnt know there is a recall!

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Soooo, who all is taking their hitch off that they added? I am I am!

I's getting me a free mopar hitch! Then putting it on ebay for someone to buy that doesnt know there is a recall!

I am sure people will know as they will be sending out letters to all the registered owners...... ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to be a lot of hitches going into the junk yards or somewhere.

Anyone want two hitches cause I'll never be going after mine

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service guy here at my local jeep dealership said he just received a "bulletin". He said it stated that there will be a inspection to check for "hitch removal" and that includes clean threads and hitch wiring.

I have a aftermarket hitch and have brackets welded on it for my rear spot lights.

Plus how I see it if you already have one, go in for the inspection with it on. If it fails then they will give you a new one. If you take it off and act like you never have one, well that is stealing and you should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The service guy here at my local jeep dealership said he just received a "bulletin". He said it stated that there will be a inspection to check for "hitch removal" and that includes clean threads and hitch wiring.

I have a aftermarket hitch and have brackets welded on it for my rear spot lights.

Plus how I see it if you already have one, go in for the inspection with it on. If it fails then they will give you a new one. If you take it off and act like you never have one, well that is stealing and you should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Yea I agree. Plus if you take your hitch off they will know anyways because your hitch bolt hole threads will be nice and clean. Besides, if you had the factory tow package it will be on your build sheet which the dealer can get in 2 seconds.

When I get the recall letter I will bring mine in just as it is, hitch and all just so they can look at it and clear the recall on my Jeep so there will be no open recalls on it. I'm sure they will just look at mine and clear the recall anyways.

Dave

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I just came back from the dealer (for an unrelated issue) here in NE Ohio and asked about the hitch. He said they were still waiting on word from Chrysler. He also mentioned that they might just go with a skid plate for the gas tank. Take it all with a grain of salt, because he made it clear that so far they didn't really know anything more than we do.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine still shows the ball joint recall outstanding :laughing1:
I replaced those YEARS ago
Worked out a deal on the rear lower control arms and did them myself, I assume they cleared them, since I had to give them my VIN to get the arms
But so far mines never been in a Jeep Dealership, hoping to keep it that way :sorrysign:
Yes I'm a crotchety old ****:doh2:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Agreed

I just came back from the dealer (for an unrelated issue) here in NE Ohio and asked about the hitch. He said they were still waiting on word from Chrysler. He also mentioned that they might just go with a skid plate for the gas tank. Take it all with a grain of salt, because he made it clear that so far they didn't really know anything more than we do.

The closest Jeep dealer here has it stated on there website they have no idea how long before they will get the hitches so stop asking,well they word it much nicer.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ never came with a hitch. The hitch that I put on is rusty and crusty, and wouldn't hold up to inspection. So apparently I'm going to be a thief, I will be having it done when they are available.

You nay Sayers need to take it easy on the subject. Jeep is going to do it, and will do everything that they can on inspection to ensure they don't have to.

I already talked to my dealer. The whole cleaned threads will void is poppycock. Those same bolt holes hold on the factory rear tow hook, factory skid plate, etc. and the will have no way of crediting or discrediting that it could have had them installed in the past.

If the hitch you have isn't up to *****, it will be replaced. If you don't have one, it will be installed. Enough said

chris03kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to pull back an old thread, after talking with Chrysler there are 1.56 million liberties affected, and the letters regarding how to get the recall fixed will come out by February of 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to pull back an old thread, after talking with Chrysler there are 1.56 million liberties affected, and the letters regarding how to get the recall fixed will come out by February of 2014

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is still a pertinent thread and good that it got resurrected.

Thanks for the update.

As for me, I have a gas tank skid and OEM hitch so I am sure they will just look at my KJ and not do anything. But I suppose I will have to bring my KJ in when I get the letter and have them clear the recall on mine.

Dave

dwilken48

Reaction score
That would be nice to receive a free hitch if you could get away with removal of your OEM one. Hack up the other hitch and create a Frankenstein front-end hitch :)

drjones

Reaction score
Got my official notice the other day, problem and solution. Basically telling me to await further notice at which time to schedule an appointment for inspection.