Rear lower shock mount extensions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
For now, he is happy and fixed his problem. Y'all are right that it will break in the long run. When it does he can put a longer shock in. For the $ though, 30 instead of 200 for a new set of shocks to replace shocks that still work is an easy choice.

Guess I build much differently, if its some thing that will not work properly I want to do it right at that time, not wait till some inopportune do break
But then its nothing to decide Friday night at 11:30 PM to drive 6-7 hours to surprise someone on a moments notice

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He traded ~1-2" of non-usable up travel for ~1-2" of usable down travel for $30. Seems like a win to me.

Great idea!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
He traded ~1-2" of non-usable up travel for ~1-2" of usable down travel for $30. Seems like a win to me.

Great idea!

Uptravel ? Didn't have any before really and traded it for down travel?

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Great idea!

Exactly what I have been trying to describe. No one wants to hear it though

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Shock is same length, not gaining more down travel than you had before since you need more bumpstop now ( well or blow your shocks out ) . ONLY way to get more travel either up or down, is simply longer shocks .
Oh well............................
dead subject

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shock is same length, not gaining more down travel than you had before since you need more bumpstop now ( well or blow your shocks out ) . ONLY way to get more travel either up or down, is simply longer shocks .
Oh well............................
dead subject
Depends on the shock. At full stuff, he may have an inch or two left before the shock bottoms out. Or not. I don't know the specs on those shocks nor how short they stuffed to. I see what everyone is saying, and everyone is right in one way or another.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a quick diagram on my phone how he would end up with more usable down travel.
You must be registered for see images

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh my, what a way to blow a shock
Move the bottom up, need to install more bumpstop as well
come on now, think for a few minutes

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh my, what a way to blow a shock
Move the bottom up, need to install more bumpstop as well
come on now, think for a few minutes
You're not understanding us. The shock still had more up travel. It wasn't bottomed out before or now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You're not understanding us. The shock still had more up travel. It wasn't bottomed out before or now.

No before it was topping out, plus hopefully he had some extra bumpstop in there if not, well ................
Plus you are not understanding proper building a full lift system

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If a shock has 10" of total travel it does not matter where or how you mount them you will only get 10" of travel.

The correct length shocks(for a 3"-4" lifted KJ) for the rear are 12" short body shocks.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a shock has 10" of total travel it does not matter where or how you mount them you will only get 10" of travel.

The correct length shocks(for a 3"-4" lifted KJ) for the rear are 12" short body shocks.
And if you hit full bumpstop at 8" up out of that 10" with 2" of up travel in the shock left then space the lower mount up 1" you gain 1" of usable down travel that you didn't have before.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not arguing against you or discussing what the proper length shock is. I agree with you that a longer shock is the proper route to go. What I am saying is the mod OP did, increased his usable rear down travel. That's it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you hit full bumpstop at 8" up out of that 10" with 2" of up travel in the shock left then space the lower mount up 1" you gain 1" of usable down travel that you didn't have before.

I'm not arguing against you or discussing what the proper length shock is. I agree with you that a longer shock is the proper route to go. What I am saying is the mod OP did, increased his usable rear down travel. That's it.

While true in 1 point still he is limiting the suspension,the bumpstops are there to prevent hard full compression of the shocks which will kill them fast,not limit travel.