Puddle of red under KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sammyantha

Reaction score
I'm back again :(

Drove the jeep this morning on a short run, got home and parked up. Went back out to it a few hours later and noticed a rather large puddle underneath it. Colour was a light red, transmission fluid I assume?

Got under it and managed to take these pictures, can't afford to take it to a garage until next week so thought I would see if any of you guys have any ideas!

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Does it feel oily? If so it's ATF+4. It's in the trans, tcase and PS system. If it's not oily, it's coolant. I'm guessing trans fluid, possibly from a ****** cooler line.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks kind of like radiator coolant to me.

If it’s not that it’s going to be transmission or transfer case. But I really think it is coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does look like the Mopar HOAT. How is the coolant level? Since it's back so far Maybe a heater hose or the reservoir is leaking?

Sammyantha

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Have actually had a few coolant issues with the jeep in the last few months, no idea if any of it is related or not. Coolant in the res started dropping and a cracked res cap was replaced which stabilised the levels for 2 weeks then it dropped again and smoke/coolant smell started coming through heater vents so a busted heater matrix was diagnosed and as I couldn't find anyone in the UK that wanted to do the job my mechanic ended up bypassing the matrix.

Again coolant level all fine for a month or two and a couple of weeks ago I check and noticed it had gone down in the res about an inch. Topped it back up, went down another inch a week later and the other day I topped it back up again. In the mean time there has been a couple of occasions I have thought I could smell coolant coming from the engine bay after getting out of it but this has only happened once or twice, with daily use of the jeep.

Now we're on today, puddle on the floor (a pretty big one too) except the coolant in the res seems to still be at the exact level I last topped it up to!? When I dabbed the puddle with a tissue it was more of a watery light pink than a deep red, but could it crap that much coolant out and the levels not go down? Oil looks fine, no overheating, no smoke.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it crap that much coolant out and the levels not go down? Oil looks fine, no overheating, no smoke.

Yes... the resevoir is an overflow tank mostly, so it's possible to lose coolant in the system and due to vacuum it may not always pull down from the tank to backfill... not always.. but sometimes.

It sounds like coolant to me as well, ATF would be oily and slippery.. not watery at all.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^This isnt true for all libertys. Its not really an overflow depending on what year liberty he has and a coolant loss will cause an immediate drop in the reservoir.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe it didn't have the right coolant (HOAT) and caused multiple leaks throughout your system.

Is it still leaking fluid? Maybe a couple tell-tales here and there could help you pinpoint the exact spot where the puddle is originating.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^This isnt true for all libertys. Its not really an overflow depending on what year liberty he has and a coolant loss will cause an immediate drop in the reservoir.
x2, on an 02-06 it should drop directly since it's a closed system. Some 07s and newer had an open system.

Sammyantha

Reaction score
It’s an 04.

I’m not sure what coolant was put in it as my partner did it but I’m fairly sure it wasn’t HOAT. Not that easy getting hold of it here and our mechanic (apparently incorrectly) advised us that due to its age it’s highly unlikely the jeep has had HOAT in it for a long time so there’s no point using it now. I’m fairly sure when he worked on the matrix bypass he refilled it with non HOAT coolant and it was fine for a couple of months after that before it started dropping again.

Jeeps (especially old ones like ours) aren’t too popular in the UK so finding a half decent mechanic that knows them well or finding the right parts or coolant is hard!

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s an 04.

I’m not sure what coolant was put in it as my partner did it but I’m fairly sure it wasn’t HOAT. Not that easy getting hold of it here and our mechanic (apparently incorrectly) advised us that due to its age it’s highly unlikely the jeep has had HOAT in it for a long time so there’s no point using it now. I’m fairly sure when he worked on the matrix bypass he refilled it with non HOAT coolant and it was fine for a couple of months after that before it started dropping again.

Jeeps (especially old ones like ours) aren’t too popular in the UK so finding a half decent mechanic that knows them well or finding the right parts or coolant is hard!
Oh boy

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not using HOAT wouldn't cause leaks. If you can get a pressure tester, I'd do that and put it up to 16lbs.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not using HOAT wouldn't cause leaks. If you can get a pressure tester, I'd do that and put it up to 16lbs.
Yeah this will make it much easier to find a coolant leak. I believe you can rent one at most auto parts store for free.

HF sells one too but I haven't check it out in person.

Sammyantha

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies. Had another look at it yesterday and some of the heater (I think!) pipes are wet so I’m wondering if something has come loose somewhere with the matrix bypass pipe work.

Will be going to garage end of this week so hopefully they will get to the bottom of it and it’s nothing major.

Renedave

Reaction score
Have you ruled out the weep hole in the water pump? When mine went bad it was amazing how much antifreeze I'd lose on the half hour each way drive to work.

Latest posts

Members online