parking brake adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this post came up I literally JUST got back from adjusting the metal tab under the glove box. Works perfectly and VERY strongly now. :)

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since this post came up I literally JUST got back from adjusting the metal tab under the glove box. Works perfectly and VERY strongly now. :)

Go on.... What is this magical tab you speak of?

My parking brake isn't awful, it could just be a lot stronger!

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resurrection time!

I have the ebrake problem everyone else does where you have to pull the handle all the way up and it barely holds. So I tried to do the method of holding the metal tab in place while putting the brake handle down. And this does adjust the handle but then I have a different problem. After holding the tab, I can feel the handle is tighter but if I pull up hard to set the brake its like the handle pops out of the ratcheting mechanism and it goes back to being terribly adjusted. I plan to dig into it further this weekend but I was wondering who else has run into this??

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
The Kj's cable & adjuster and hat design is like a headache waiting to happen.
Not sure what you mean by pops out of ratcheting mech.
The cable slack adjuster aint the brightest on the block, crap design.
Fact is though, a new Napa spring kit, shoe kit, and the inside hat scuffed up or machined,
rear spinners adjusted properly, is needed & only then does it seem to work or hold right with this design.
Even then, I am adjusting spinners every couple of months and using the screwdriver trick occasionally.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is that there is the mechanism in the cabin by the parking brake handle that is also supposed to adjust to take up the slack in the cable. That is the mechanism that keeps slipping causing the handle to be poorly adjusted.

In most other cars ive owned there is a small nut you can turn by the handle that will do this for you but it looks like they tried to use some sort of automatic adjusting device on these parking breaks and that is the mech. I suspect keeps slipping. I can adjust it, by pulling the ebrake up, then holding the metal tab in place while I lower the handle. And it does work, I can feel the brake engaging after only a few clicks instead of all the way to the top, until I pull up ******* the handle, then it slips.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those who are disgruntled with shoe-in-hat emergency/park brakes should have to deal with the other style disc brake park system where the cable actuates the caliper piston.

Bob

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a full size GM sedan with that design. I have more confidence in it than the KJ.
When I needed it the most, after the brake pedal went to the floor going down hill, and car 40 feet ahead, after I blew out a line, the floor e-brake stopped the car easily with gearing down immediately.
Part of the problem with "shoe in hat" is the small footprint & potential glazing of the rear brake pad, or even separation. The "automatic" slack adjuster is a joke and honestly a recall should have happened.
If you cant stop the vehicle at city speeds with the e-brake, you could have a bad day, one day.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It self adjusts if you roll in reverse and pull up on the brake a few times, it makes it more responsive so you only have to pull it a few clicks.

But like others I'll get get good and tight, then go to use it later and it's back to having to pull it all the way up again. I followed the FSM measurements/procedure for setting up the shoes.

KJ604

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But like others I'll get get good and tight, then go to use it later and it's back to having to pull it all the way up again.

This is the real issue. And it has nothing to do with the shoe in hat design. I have shoe in hat design parking break in my 3800lbs volvo and it works flawlessly. I believe it is actually the mechanism in the cab that's attached the the handle that does not take up the slack properly. So you can adjust it and it seems fine then after a few pulls it doesnt hold again. I will be investigating further and will update!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Exactly...my WK and LR3 both have the same design (shoe in hat) and they hold like there's no tomorrow. Keep us posted!