New member here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grip Grip

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just joined today after buying a 2005 Liberty Limited 3.7 (4x4) last weekend with 148K miles. The car has some minor scrapes on the front fender and a few minor hail marks, but with a very nice Carfax, only 2-owner, and average mileage, I pulled the trigger at $4,500 off a CL ad. I guess I'm kind of hoping that I didn't get screwed (value wise) on the deal.

From what I've read the engine is pretty sound and problem free at high mileage, but all bets are off when the ****** hits 200K. I plan to change the ****** fluid and filter tomorrow, but I'll definitely stay away from flushing. Next weekend I'm going to change the transfer case and differential fluids and I should be good to go.

Anyway, I'll do my best not to ask too many newbie questions.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome and very nice clean looking KJ! Really like the blue, looks like you just waxed it!
Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of fun knowledgeable folks here! :driver:

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lovely clean KJ. I'm new here as well, got my 03 sport KJ a month ago. Don't worry you pulled a Great value deal (I paid a grand over, but even less mileage).
Any plans on mods?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hdale85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This forum is very good about newbie questions so don't be discouraged to ask away.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome and nice KJ. When you change the ****** fluid use ATF+4 only. Nothing else.

Dave

Grip Grip

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I've spent the day shampooing the carpet and detailing the engine bay. I also bought a couple quarts of ATF+4 for the transfer case, but didn't get around to changing it.

At some point I'll get some more ATF+4 for the ******, and some 80W-90 gear oil for the differential. I watched youtube videos last night and this morning to confirm the type of fluids and precautions to take.

It appears my Liberty has the Command Trac with faulty transfer case indicator, since "part time" is displayed on the dash even in 2H. I doubt I'll mess with it, but it's nice to know from searching that it's common and not a big deal.

On the first tank of gas it's getting 17.75 MPG. I knew this was going to be the case, so no big. Hopefully the new plugs I installed yesterday will help bump it up a little bit.

The only mods I see in the near future are LED headlight and interior bulbs. Other than that I'll likely leave it stock. It's really supposed to be my kid's car, but she won't be driving on her own for over a year. Lots of time for me to rethink modding.

By the way, what are the most worthwhile and common mods for the Liberty 3.78 4WD?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online