Need some wiring/electrical help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some spare Mopar bumper mounted fog lights from a Renegade that were shipped to me from the person I got my front tow hooks from (he upgraded to and ARB). I am finally ready to attempt to put them on my KJ but admittedly I am a newbie when it comes to electrical. So my questions are, can I plug the wires into where my '07 sport fog lights would go or do I have to do some splicing? If I can plug and play, where exactly do I plug them in? Also, are the lights mounted on brackets on the bumper of a Rene or do they just bolt on? Some pics would be helpful as well. I apologize in advance for the lack of knowledge.

boebr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just want them on any time your low beams are on, you could wire them to that circuit for an extra easy install... if you want them to work off of the factory switch... well, that's going to take some tracing of wires, looking at diagrams, etc... If you want to just install your own switch... that dificulty level falls somwhere in between

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, does your '07 Sport have fogs? Does the multifunction stock on the steering column indicate a fog light option?

If so, I'd be willing to bet the wiring from your Sport, is the same as, or nearly the same as the Renegade.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
As I think I saw was already stated, does your liberty already have factory fog lights and you're just wanting to add the Renegade style ones? Or do you not have any and you're wanting to install the Renegade ones since you don't have any? If you already have factory fogs you probably wouldn't want to splice into the wiring for them to run these Renegade Hellas because the wiring isn't gonna draw enough power for 220 watts of light when it was installed for 110 watts. Not to mention depending on where you live you could possibly get in trouble with the law enforcement for running 4 fog lights on the roadway. Anyway though if you do have stock fogs already, I would run new wiring from the battery to a switch and relay and to the Hellas that way you can control them separately from the stock fogs and they'll be brighter. If you don't have stock fogs there may be a possibility that the wiring harness is there for the fog lights and you could just find the harness behind the grille and plug the Renegade Hellas up to it, but theres also a chance the plugs don't match but in that case I would just cut off the plugs and hard wire them. But I'm not sure if you would have the fog light switch on your multistalk if your kj is equipped with the factory fogs. Also then it comes down to the mounting. You may try to contact the guy you bought them from and ask him if he would sell you the tabs that Tony was talking about, because they're not welded in fact they're only held on by two small bolts. You could probably easily fab some up but it would probably be easier to mount the lights with the factory ones because the tab is bolted to the steal beam under the bumper cover but the nut for the light is welded to the tab. If you have any questions feel free to ask me I've changed my factory hellas out for KC fog lights and have had my bumper cover off numerous times.

If there is wiring there and it is working (meaning there is 12V on the connectors when you flick the switch) then yes.

The Renegade has some supports welded to the front steel beam, coming through the plastic of the front bumper facia.(iirc)

So you will have to fab some supports.

On the contrary Tony, they supports are only held on by two bolts. The part you're probably thinking of is the nut for the bolt that holds the light is welded to the back side of that tab.

You must be registered for see images attach

The yellow circles are where the bolts are located, one on the front of the steel beam and one behind the grille actually on the radiator support I think.

You must be registered for see images attach

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have the factory fogs installed but do have the fog light switch on the multistalk. I am going to see if I can find the wiring harness for the factory fogs and either plug or solder into that one. As far as mounting I am going to try to color match the exterior and fab up a bumper mounted lighting bar. Kind of like this:

You must be registered for see images

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM sent and replied to, thanks again Tony. Now I just need some time to get to this project. I will post pics when it is done.

Members online