lights dim when traction control kicks in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed when I was leaving work last night, when the traction control kicked in the head lights would dim.
the parking lot was quite slippery as we got a lot of wet snow.
at first I thought it was just my eyes after having driven twelve hours in the storm.(I'm a trucker)
so I made it spin again this time on purpose.
and the headlights dimmed again. when I let off the gas the lights would go back to normal.
is this something I should worry about?
my liberty is an 06 with abs, electronic stability control, and traction control.

sorry for the long post, just wanted to get as much info in here as I could.

I just put a new battery from Napa in about a month ago

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07 does the same thing. i always attributed it to a weak battery. still on stock battery.

Saw similar thing when running power windows causing lights to dim. light dimmig doesn't happen when when attached to 2 amp charger which led me down that path.

Did the dimming happen on your old battery?

03 JEEP KJ BIG BLUE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 03 dims when i try to roll up 2 windows at once or use the sunroof and a window at the same time and i have a new battery. i dont have traction control.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
NJO if your new battery from Napa is not a 800CCA or greater, the lights will dim when any larger load is placed on system, as mentioned above.
Even though my stock 4 year old 630CCA Mopar battery is still passing a load test, when replacement time is required, I will get an Odyssey PC-1500 DT- 34-78 and not have to worry about lack of juice and lights dimming.
A solid trickle charge overnight keeps any battery in top condition and reduces lights from dimming, especially as weather gets colder!

Last edited:

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cardhu: yes the lights dimmed on the old battery as well, actually thats why I replaced it.

LibertyTC: my battery is 690 CCA . so thats probably the problem.
I should have asked here what was recomended first.

thanks for the info.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the odyssey replacement, do people recomend the 34 /78 model with dual terminals. thoughts on commercial vs regular auto?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting prices now on one to get delivered. First -40 morning today. Jeep was not happy.

Get it done now before i regret it.