Lift Kit - 2006 KJ Renegade Edition - 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeep Libery_KillJoy

Reaction score
Hi fellow KJ enthusiasts,

I just got my 06 KJ last year,2022, and looking to use it for my daily and weekend off-roading adventures.

To start my build, I’m looking at replacing the stock suspension to an OME (seems to be the popular and highly recommended choice). Also, since everything is stock, the other components ‘MAY’ be subject for repair or replacement as well (CV joints, tie rods etc.)

Question: what kind of OME lift would require no control arm upgrades? (The shop I went to told me that the bigger the lift, the more likely that the control arms needs to be upgraded to avoid contact or rubbing). If control arm upgrades is not an issue, then that’s the next best thing on lift for daily driving and weekend off-road for KJ?

If there’s a thread I can follow , please let me know!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_2299.jpeg
    IMG_2299.jpeg
    571.3 KB · Views: 8

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello! An OME lift is the best way to go. The OME lift is advertized as 1.5 inches due to insurance laws back in Australia where it is manufactured. The lift actually nets 2-2.5 inches of lift in reality. You will not technically need JBA upper control arms until you hit 3-3.5 inches of lift, although it is a great upgrade. It makes swapping out upper ball joints a snap, and reduces the chances of the spring making contact with the control arm when the wheel articulates off road.

There are many threads answered by Tommudd that have the correct part numbers. You'll need:
Front springs
Front shocks (stock length)
Teraflex front bump stops (not advertised online but available if you call the company)
Rear springs
Extended length rear shocks
2 hockey pucks per side in rear, bolted down to the spring perch

If you want to be around 3 inches of lift, you can do a clevis lift using 3 conduit nuts per side in the front and a couple of extra spring isolators in the back. But I would advise getting JBA upper control arms if you go that route. (JBA UCA's are the best not only because of superior quality control but because of excellent customer service if you need it.)

Jeep Libery_KillJoy

Reaction score
Hello! An OME lift is the best way to go. The OME lift is advertized as 1.5 inches due to insurance laws back in Australia where it is manufactured. The lift actually nets 2-2.5 inches of lift in reality. You will not technically need JBA upper control arms until you hit 3-3.5 inches of lift, although it is a great upgrade. It makes swapping out upper ball joints a snap, and reduces the chances of the spring making contact with the control arm when the wheel articulates off road.

There are many threads answered by Tommudd that have the correct part numbers. You'll need:
Front springs
Teraflex front bump stops (not advertised online but available if you call the company)
Rear springs

If you want to be around 3 inches of lift, you can do a clevis lift using 3 conduit nuts per side in the front and a couple of extra spring isolators in the back. But I would advise getting JBA upper control arms if you go that route. (JBA UCA's are the best not only because of superior quality control but because of excellent customer service if you need it.)
The shop owner just made me aware of the control arm once I go higher in lifts but wasn’t sure where that is. Now I know.

For an entry build and a budget-friendly one, also not sure how much I would invest in the future (depending on the circumstances), the OME sounds like a solid choice.

Thanks for all the clarification!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow KJ enthusiasts,

I just got my 06 KJ last year,2022, and looking to use it for my daily and weekend off-roading adventures.

To start my build, I’m looking at replacing the stock suspension to an OME (seems to be the popular and highly recommended choice). Also, since everything is stock, the other components ‘MAY’ be subject for repair or replacement as well (CV joints, tie rods etc.)

Question: what kind of OME lift would require no control arm upgrades? (The shop I went to told me that the bigger the lift, the more likely that the control arms needs to be upgraded to avoid contact or rubbing). If control arm upgrades is not an issue, then that’s the next best thing on lift for daily driving and weekend off-road for KJ?

If there’s a thread I can follow , please let me know!

Thanks guys!
Look through the forum for Tom Mudd's posts, he has covered this lots.

Jeep Libery_KillJoy

Reaction score
I did this last August, part numbers are in my sig.
thats awesome! i'll check it out

What are you're thoughts after a year?

-as daily driving (feels like on the road, cornering and such)
-off-roading
-do you know how high your KJ went up, realistically speaking, need to know for parkade clearances :)

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
thats awesome! i'll check it out

What are you're thoughts after a year?

-as daily driving (feels like on the road, cornering and such)
-off-roading
-do you know how high your KJ went up, realistically speaking, need to know for parkade clearances :)
Last time I checked, I was at 21” all around. It was worth every penny and the effort. The Jeep was sitting at 18” before I started, so it feels like a 3-inch lift, lol. As for the ride, on pavement or off:

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpeg
    IMG_0750.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 7

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Front springs
Rear springs

- anyone heard from Tommudd lately? See last activity back in april. Hope he is doing ok.

Jeep Libery_KillJoy

Reaction score
Last time I checked, I was at 21” all around. It was worth every penny and the effort. The Jeep was sitting at 18” before I started, so it feels like a 3-inch lift, lol. As for the ride, on pavement or off:
nice! I’m excited to get mine!

Reactions: klc

Jeep Libery_KillJoy

Reaction score
Finally got them on

I got the standard OME lift kit with nokian tires 235/70R16

I didn’t know how bad the previous suspension was till I got these installed. The visual difference is night and day!

Worth it

:)

Attachments

• IMG_2630.jpeg
    IMG_2630.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 9