Land rover brags about "Differential Lock," don't we have it too?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All it is a locking mechanism in the transfer case, so they can have full time 4WD on road, & then lock the front output to the rear output for off-road, so there is equal power to the front axle as the rear...

Sounds like a NP-242 to me! & the NP-231 does the same front to rear lock, but with no full time option.

Anyone know any different?

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Selec-Trac. I love selec-trac so far. Very handy on snowy/icy roads.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
It is simply Land Rover's advertising gimmick. But some AWD systems can be locked into 4wd, and some cannot. Locking them is nothing amazing as it is pretty much what transfer cases have done for 100 years. An unlockable AWD is pretty useless anywhere but the road, IMHO.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on, give them a little credit. Don't they have differential lock on demand, not just transfer lock, also adjustable suspension on the fly.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is simply Land Rover's advertising gimmick. But some AWD systems can be locked into 4wd, and some cannot. Locking them is nothing amazing as it is pretty much what transfer cases have done for 100 years. An unlockable AWD is pretty useless anywhere but the road, IMHO.

X2...

I have seen what an AWD does on packed snow or ice, one tire spins then stops, then the other tire spins then stops, then it goes back to the other one, back and forth side to side, and the front and rear are both doing it at the same time. That was an AWD with traction control, it was like watching a circus ride.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2...

I have seen what an AWD does on packed snow or ice, one tire spins then stops, then the other tire spins then stops, then it goes back to the other one, back and forth side to side, and the front and rear are both doing it at the same time. That was an AWD with traction control, it was like watching a circus ride.

Haha agreed with this, i saw a guy in a new lexus try to book it into a gas station parking lot, well going fast through a sharp turn in snow= bad idea.
Well he drove right into a snow pile. He starts flooring it foward then backwards as i stopped and stared for a second, then walked over and asked if he needed some help. His response "No i got All Wheel Drive i can get out" so i started to walk back to my nice big TJ laughing. Well in short he couldn't get out so me and 3 others helped push him out with not so much as a thank you. I was afraid to try and tug so im not liable for anything so pushing seemed to be for the best.
nono.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like selec-trac in your description. The 4wd full time is really made for street driving where you have patchy snow/bare pavement mixed conditions or maybe real hard rain. Not off-road.

What I did by mistake one time was I was in 4hi off road and had to cross a paved road to get to the other side so I pulled it into 4 full-time and crossed the road and started up (realized I forgot to shift back to part-time but then left it there to see what it would do) .....not a good idea.....Slipping all the way up a gravelly rutted hill and barely got to the top of the hill in full-time. It really felt different than 4hi as I was slipping around with the front axle unlocked and I just barely made it...haha This is a pic of me coming back down that hill but at the bottom where it is not so steep. Sorry, this is the best pic I have.

You must be registered for see images attach

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like what 4 PT/HI does...as the 242 has a center diff in it...

I use 4PT for 90% of my wheeling, mud so gotta keep the momentum. I use 4 Lo sometimes...

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Slightly off topic, but still about Range Rovers...
I was watching a Four Wheeler TV show and this one guy had a brand spanking new Range Rover and his electronically operated 4 wheel low solinoid bought the farm and he needed to get winched out of a level surface rocky path by an other Land Rover because all his Range Rover did was sit and spin it's rear wheels!
Pretty sad considering that I've had my '76 Mini on road surfaces that were in rougher conditions and the front wheel drive (with 4.67 LSD LIMITED SLIP DIFF!) just pulled me out of whatever I threw at it! (Untill I blew the Diff!):D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic, but still about Range Rovers...
I was watching a Four Wheeler TV show and this one guy had a brand spanking new Range Rover and his electronically operated 4 wheel low solinoid bought the farm and he needed to get winched out of a level surface rocky path by an other Land Rover because all his Range Rover did was sit and spin it's rear wheels!
Pretty sad considering that I've had my '76 Mini on road surfaces that were in rougher conditions and the front wheel drive (with 4.67 LSD LIMITED SLIP DIFF!) just pulled me out of whatever I threw at it! (Untill I blew the Diff!):D
Electronic 4WD systems are CRAP! All those "SUVs" that have push buttons or selector switches for the 4WD mode...yuck! Long live Selec-trac(I not II) and Command-trac!

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those have locking diff's(axles) so we dont have much on them. And it would amaze you have many 'suvs' out there dont have a locking tcase.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
One electronic 4wd system that I've used, and loved, is the 4wd in Durango's. AWD by default....move the knob to 4 lock...and feels like a Jeep! :D

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little research, & it turns out that the biggest difference is that the Rover is linked gear to gear, while in the NP 231/242 the front is chain driven. So the gears are directly locked, while we are locked until the chain breaks.

Functionally, no difference though.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little research, & it turns out that the biggest difference is that the Rover is linked gear to gear, while in the NP 231/242 the front is chain driven. So the gears are directly locked, while we are locked until the chain breaks.

Functionally, no difference though.
But a great difference between the strength of a chain t-case and a gear to gear t-case.

Why I have a AtlasII t-case,twin sticks rule:D

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep...looks better to...JMO. Can't get a solid rear axle in a Rover...nor a Hemi...

When did they get IRS? That must be pretty new. I haven't looked at anything newer than 2002, but they all have solid front & rear axles. From what I hear, GM small blocks fit with relatively little effort.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The LR3's and LR4's, Freelander, and the Range Rover Sport, and Range Rover are all independent suspensions....not sure of anything older than an 05 though...

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno about the RFS in Land Rover, but early in my military career I got to drive a VW Iltis. They were, still are, crappy little jeep wannabe's. They were made by Bombardier of Canada, had a 1.7L VW 4 and an Audi 100's drivetrain. Independant suspension at all four corners, and three little levers on the floor behind the shifter, front diff, t-case and rear diff lock/unlock. Although they were pieces of crap, they could go literally anywhere.