Just got a Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwiftyZenBadd

Reaction score
Nice little rig, but am having an issue...on start up she blows white smoke and idles a bit rough, no engine lights or warnings, but im guessing its not bad enough to trigger them yet.

I had thought it was bad gas, but after two tankfulls of premium and some lucas fi cleaner, its not any better. I was gonna check the plugs, but could not find them... :eek: I found a thread on here, and almost soiled myself when I found out where they were.

I am so missing my CJ.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the thread that you found?

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34330

The spark plugs are pretty easy to change on the kj. I would rather change them on this engine than I would a engine that still has spark plug wires.

White smoke usually means moisture. Blue smoke means its burning oil. Is the antifreeze nice and full? If its not throwing a coat then I wouldnt worry about it. The spark plugs should be changed every 30k though.

Also, you know every exhaust puts out condensation when you first start them and they are cold, right?

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice little rig, but am having an issue...on start up she blows white smoke and idles a bit rough, no engine lights or warnings, but im guessing its not bad enough to trigger them yet.

I had thought it was bad gas, but after two tankfulls of premium and some lucas fi cleaner, its not any better. I was gonna check the plugs, but could not find them... :eek: I found a thread on here, and almost soiled myself when I found out where they were.

I am so missing my CJ.
You might try some Sea-Foam too. There is a thread on that too. The spark plugs are, in my opinion, extremely easy to change. I am assuming that you have a 3.7L though.

SoDakJeep

Reaction score
yep i changed my plugs last tank and have went from 200 a tank to 230 when the light came on. Not sure exactly how much I gained for MPG but it didnt hurt it at all hah. Real easy to change as well took me about an hr or so my 1st time ever doing it.

aksloan

Reaction score
yep i changed my plugs last tank and have went from 200 a tank to 230 when the light came on. Not sure exactly how much I gained for MPG but it didnt hurt it at all hah. Real easy to change as well took me about an hr or so my 1st time ever doing it.

what plugs did you use?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you do the sea foam thing, do it prior to changing the plugs. Its going to clean through your system and dirty up the plugs (if you dump it through the iar intake). I dumped it into the gas on the last two fill ups and will do it through the air intake soon (gonna change the plugs).

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had thought it was bad gas, but after two tankfulls of premium...

Welcome to the world of Liberty owners!

I don't know that it would cause your issue but am wondering why you're using premium... the Liberty only needs regular unleaded (unless you're towing, then a step up to midgrade is recommended as I recall)... aren't you just throwing away extra $$ using the expensive stuff?

I agree with JeepJeepster, had a Honda Civic a long time ago, white exhaust on startup was the first sign of the head gasket going - coolant leaking into the wrong parts of the engine.

Watch your coolant level and check your oil, if it looks foamy there could be coolant getting into it.

Dave

SwiftyZenBadd

Reaction score
The exhaust smells horrible as well, not that there is a good smelling one...'cept a sbc... I do have the 3.7 and the computer reads 262 DTE. I used premium to get a hotter burn, and im not fond of ethanol.

Latest posts

Members online