High RPM and Surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my newest issue seems to be a high rpm (~1100 at idle) and when just cruising without applying gas (~1600). it doesn't happen all the time it's random as far as engine temp and driving conditions. I have been able to put it into neutral and rev the engine a couple times and get the rpms back to normal but a couple times when i put it in neutral the trans "slammed" which is pretty concerning.

This issue didn't start until after i cleaned my IAC for another issue i was having with cold starts in the a.m. which hasn't been a real issue lately.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/trouble-starting-cool-not-even-cold-temps-52125/

I have recently replaced the TPS(on Friday morning) with a mopar one from the dealer and cleaned the IAC again (it was still clean but i did it anyways). I cleaned the throttle body and plate(pretty clean before i started) as well as the seat for the IAC which was dirty. I've checked the vacuum lines and they looked to be connected and in OK shape.

Any thought or avenues on where I should go from here?

UPDATE: i pulled a p1294 code today Target idle not reached

Last edited:

mikeandamy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new update, put a code reader on to clear the 1294 code and saw that there was a P0736 "Gear Ratio Error in Reverse"

any thoughts on this cel code as well as the p1294?

Latest posts

Members online