Grinding noise when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UnclePa

Reaction score
Our "new to us" 03 just starting making a grinding noise when braking. It sounds like it's coming from the front and sounds exactly like I should have changed brake pads about 500 miles ago. However, the brake pads have plenty of wear left (in fact, it looks like it recently had a brake job) and the rotors are perfectly smooth. What else should I look for?

Also, sometimes even on fairly small bumps it makes a loud thump as if hitting a 6" deep *** hole. First time it happened I thought we'd blown a tire. Any ideas?

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Might look for warping, check the cover on the backside of the brake, and look for a foreign object in there. The covers are held on by rivets - could one of them worked it's way loose?

UnclePa

Reaction score
Thanks! You are probably right. I removed the wheels and moved the rotors back and forth and everything seemed fine. Then I did a road test and it was fine. I didn't see anything fall but perhaps I dislodged a rock or something in doing so.

ZeroCool84

Reaction score
This probably isnt going to be helpful but my 06 seems to have noisy brakes no matter what. When I got her she was squeaky/grindy even though pads and rotors were fine. I changed rotors and pads and all was fine for a week or two then still a squeak and light grind.

****** me off so I put on new pads (some supposed softer super quiet brand) and all was fine for a week or two (again) then a squeak when nice and warmed up. My SIL (previous owner since new) said that her brakes have made noise on it for as long as she can remember so I just gave up at that point.

Small bumps also sound like hit a pothole at 60mph. I assume my suspension and or ball joints are worn but I'm living with that for the time being as that's not something I'm interested in tackling myself.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Our "new to us" 03 just starting making a grinding noise when braking. It sounds like it's coming from the front and sounds exactly like I should have changed brake pads about 500 miles ago. However, the brake pads have plenty of wear left (in fact, it looks like it recently had a brake job) and the rotors are perfectly smooth. What else should I look for?

Also, sometimes even on fairly small bumps it makes a loud thump as if hitting a 6" deep *** hole. First time it happened I thought we'd blown a tire. Any ideas?
You got a brake dragging. Perhaps a caliper is shot, though there are other reasons like a bad brake hose or a faulty brake lin. The grinding is it engaging when it shouldn't. Will become a serious issue.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Noises in suspension is usually worn out springs and shocks
By the time ( well KJ suspensions were junk brand new ) but by 60,000 miles they are total junk
My 04 that I bought new , suspension was upgraded ( to OME ) before I owned in 5 months it was so bad

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Some cheaper brake pads are just naturally noisy as well
Had one guy have a set of the AUTOZONEs cheap junk installed then brought it to me to figure out what noise was
Installed a new set of great pads and no noise
Can not always go on looks alone

UnclePa

Reaction score
Thanks, y'all! After a thorough cleaning the noise was less, but it's still there. There's no pulling to either side so I think I'll live with it and keep an eye on it.

The OME upgrade sounds good but I don't really want any lift since this is my wife's car and she likes it the way it is (other than that "scary" thump). Would 1.5" be that noticeable?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, y'all! After a thorough cleaning the noise was less, but it's still there. There's no pulling to either side so I think I'll live with it and keep an eye on it.

The OME upgrade sounds good but I don't really want any lift since this is my wife's car and she likes it the way it is (other than that "scary" thump). Would 1.5" be that noticeable?
LOL
How many times have we heard that statement about lift ?
Upgrading a suspension is way worth it in overall ride, handling and overall driving every day
OME makes springs where you just get about an inch to 1.5 inches over new stock height
Now what most use , gives you 2.5 inches since the 1.5 is " advertised lift " since in Australia there are laws as to how much lift
Now since yours already has sagged out / stacked springs and junk shocks even with a set or 926/947 springs you may end up with 2 inches or more lift since you are so low .

UnclePa

Reaction score
Thanks, again. Perhaps I should have clarified that her concern is not looks or performance but ease/difficulty getting in and out of the car. We are not young folks. :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, again. Perhaps I should have clarified that her concern is not looks or performance but ease/difficulty getting in and out of the car. We are not young folks. :)
My Mother is almost 90 ( in a couple of months ) has had both knees replaced and can not get around very good any more
She can no longer get in my 04 with 4.5 inches of lift/ 32 inch tall tires, but my 03 with 2.5 inches/ 31s climbs right in.
The 05 that I installed the 926/948 springs on she slides right in
At almost 68 I jump in and out without any difficulties in any of them , of course I'm young yet LOL

UnclePa

Reaction score
Thanks! That's what I needed to know. I have a F350 4x4 that has to be climbed into. She likes riding in it but not getting in or out. I don't have any difficulties but one of her arms is barely usable due to an injury so it's a bit more challenging for her. Just wanted to make sure.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
IF, you have a good floor jack here is a way to find out
Have done it a few times to show customers
Under the transmission cross member place the floor jack and lift it up to where the front is at 21 inches middle of the wheel to bottom of the flare .
That would be 2 inches of lift ( stock is 19 )
Then see how she can get in and out
The 926/948 combo would give you 1.5 inches of lift ( 20.5 inches ) after break in so then you could see for sure how she does