Rotational Clunk When Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

murdoc

Reaction score
2009 KK 4x4 150K miles
Weird one...
After driving a little while, when slowing down to a light with normal to light brake pressure, when I'm nearly at a stop I hear and feel a distinctive rotational clunk. If feels like a U joint or axle is flopping around and striking something solid. Hard to tell which side it is coming from, but for sure the front.

No noises when accelerating away from the light. No sounds at speed.
No surging when braking.
No vibration when braking.
I have inspected the front axle shafts, ball joints, and opened the front differential. Everything seems fine. No excessive lash or play.
Tires are evenly worn.
New master brake cylinder last summer.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake caliper bolts could be loose. After having my brakes done at a shop, this situation developed a week or two after. The symptoms were exactly as you describe. The bolts were not falling out but they were not torqued properly, allowing the caliper to shift.

murdoc

Reaction score
Found the problem. The axle nut on the passenger side was maybe a thread loose. I removed it with my 35 mm socket and impact, added some blue loctite and reinstalled. No more clunk!

Members online

No members online now.