General Grabber AT2's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moab

Reaction score
I think these have gotten a bad rap probably because they look alot like the older General AT's. But They have changed the rubber compound and have been tested thoroughly. The interlocking tread pattern works really well with everything except sticky mud and on the road they are pretty darn quiet.
I don't buy that these are trash. I'm using them and they are a good viable option for your Lib.

They were tested in a shale dirt track at the Uvalde proving grounds on a Toyota Pickup along with other type trucks, on pretty extreme conditions. Track is covered in very sharp stones that could almost be mistaken for Indian arrow heads. General regularily uses the track to evaluate puncture resistance, repeatedly.

I just got back from a trip down to southern VA and the Lib did great on the road and off. It has sips for better traction in the tread and can be fitted with studs if so desired. At over 75 miles per hour in many instances on the highway I felt confident with holding the road. Offroad and on trails they were everything I needed.

I know there are some of you that have no interest in these tires for whatever reason but I am quite pleased so far and I think I'll run them until they wear out. I was going to change to the Firestone MT's but after riding in a Wrangler with them on it - No thanks - they are just too noisey and well, built for mud not the road.

So if you are looking for a set of tires I'd say take another look at the AT2's.
I'm using the 245/75 R16's (load range E) on 16 X 8 Moabs and they have 8" of tread on the road but you can get them in a number of other sizes like 265 70 R16's or a 265 75 R16 to name a few.

In "4X4 Garage" , spring 2010, you can read the write up on the AT2's in Pro tire tests. There are many other brands and treads tested in that issue.
But it's how do they work for me and I'm quite pleased.

Just my 2 cents.....

Last edited:

TruLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never heard a bad Rap about them, tire rack's reviews says they are great, im picking up my 245/70r16's on friday. cant waitttt.

Moab

Reaction score
I've never heard a bad Rap about them, tire rack's reviews says they are great, im picking up my 245/70r16's on friday. cant waitttt.

you're in Northern Virginia...I probably drove right past you yesterday on the highway....5 hours up 95 :rolleyes:

I've read a few past posts here that just plain dismiss these as good tires...Not sure if those who posted have even tried them. But after my long trip this last weekend I'm sticking with them.

Moab

Reaction score
And there "P" rated tireswtf.gif

The "P" rating in this case is for Passenger vehicles - this includes cars, minivans, sport utility vehicles (like the Liberty)and light duty pickup trucks (typically 1/4- and 1/2-ton load capacity).

Certainly there are heavier duty tires out there that may sacrifice gas mileage and may be heavier comparitively but it's all about what you are doing with the tires. Ride smoothness may be a factor for some.

But things get confusing - look at the specs on the LT class C versus a
P Metric:

LT265/70/17 -
Load range - C
Service Desc. - 112R
Size - 7.0 - 8.5 8.00 10.7 31.7
max load - 2,470 @ 50

P265/70R17 -
Load Range - SL
Serv. desc. - 113T
Size - 7.0 - 9.0 8.00 10.7 31.7
Max load - 2,535 @ 35

P tire has a higher max load range at a lower pressure

OH brother...:rolleyes:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "P" rating in this case is for Passenger vehicles - this includes cars, minivans, sport utility vehicles (like the Liberty)and light duty pickup trucks (typically 1/4- and 1/2-ton load capacity).

Certainly there are heavier duty tires out there that may sacrifice gas mileage and may be heavier comparitively but it's all about what you are doing with the tires. Ride smoothness may be a factor for some.

P Metric:

LT265/70/17 -
Load range - C
Service Desc. - 112R
max load - 2,470 @ 50

P265/70R17 -
Load Range - SL
Serv. desc. - 113T
Max load - 2,535 @ 35

In that size there is no "C" AT2 tire...............

Only "P"...........
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...AT2OWLV2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

And "E".......
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...GRAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Big difference between the "P" and "E" range AT2's.

Moab

Reaction score
Mine are Load Range E tires including the spare just to be clear on the tires I'm using.
Actually in the size I'm using 245 75 R16 they only come in Load Range E, I think.

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loved my Grabbers - still have them in the garage. 30k on them and still over 1/2 tread left.

Bashed them for a while, but I was wrong - thought they were crazy loud, but ended up being wheel hubs.

Moab

Reaction score
LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric tires are branded with their load range (Load Range E or LRE) or their ply rating (10 Ply Rated) on their sidewalls and list their appropriate load range letter in their descriptions as LT245/75R-16 E, 7.50R-15 D or 31x10.50R-15 C.

LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Max Load Pressure

B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)***
C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)***
D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)***
E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)***
F 12 F 95 psi (650 kPa)***

***Selected large LT sizes are designed with reduced maximum load pressures

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, cool, a copy-paste education session!
Ride smoothness may be a factor for some.

ThunderbirdJunkie's KJ rides better on 245/75-16 LRE Coopers than it did on 255/70-16 Yokohama pavement pounders.
P Metric:

LT265/70/17 -
Load range - C
Service Desc. - 112R
max load - 2,470 @ 50

P265/70R17 -
Load Range - SL
Serv. desc. - 113T
Max load - 2,535 @ 35

And that P tire is more likely to go kaboom at max load than the C, too.

But hey, whatever floats your boat. It ain't ThunderbirdJunkie's ride home.
LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric tires are branded with their load range (Load Range E or LRE) or their ply rating (10 Ply Rated) on their sidewalls and list their appropriate load range letter in their descriptions as LT245/75R-16 E, 7.50R-15 D or 31x10.50R-15 C.

LT-Metric, LT-Flotation and LT-Numeric Light Truck Tires Load Range Ply Rating Abbreviated Max Load Pressure

B 4 B 35 psi (240 kPa)***
C 6 C 50 psi (350 kPa)***
D 8 D 65 psi (450 kPa)***
E 10 E 80 psi (550 kPa)***
F 12 F 95 psi (650 kPa)***

***Selected large LT sizes are designed with reduced maximum load pressures

Trying to figure out what you're trying to get across with this post here aside from your ability to ctrl+c and ctrl+v :confused:

Last edited:

Moab

Reaction score
Hey, cool, a copy-paste education session!

Just thought for those looking into these might appreciate the some of the specs and experience as the posts became a question of Load range.
The E being a 10 Ply - other load ranges posted for comparison to those who aren't clear.

I'm sure there are those who don't care - but for future searches on the site this could be helpful to others.

Exchanging experience and info on these tires may be of use to other Liberty owners.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online