First KJ Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
So I'm Ready to service my KJ for the first time. First up Oil Change. Any querks that I should know about before hand? Anything that might make this one easier for me>

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy... Put it up on a set of ramps and do it to it....

Put the pan under the little drip channel when you remove the filter, any oil that spills out of the filter when you remove it will drip into that channel and run down, you will see this spill catcher under there when you get under.

Really easy on the KJ though, takes me less time to change the oil on mine than the wife's car.

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
Nice oil changes are not any sort of unfamiliar territory to me. But this is just the first on my JK so I thought I would ask.

The Fixer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always have a hard time getting that stupid filter threaded on, because it's sort of a weird angle. Of course I'm spoiled though, because my XJ mounts the filter right on the side of the block and the filter on the small-block Chevy in my Monte is right next to the oil pan - both in plain sight and easy to reach.

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple oil change, but like kbOnly said, keep an eye for the oil catch channel under the filter. It ends up draining more towards the center of the engine. The first time I didn't see it and had a nice puddle in the driveway.

Also, I do remember reading others having their oil drain plug on surprisingly tight. It appears some of the dealers over torque them. Since you got an 02', I wouldn't expect this.

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you know the service history of your Jeep?

if not, when you get around to it, might want to change, (the mileage listed is what I use, others will post there thoughts)
both front and rear differentials, (every 12,000)
transfer case, (every 30,000)
transmission fluid/filter, (every 30,000)
power steering fluid, (as needed)
flush the brake fluid,(as needed
aswell as change spark plugs.(every 30,000)

there are "how to threads on most if not all of these, and if there isn't feel free to post questions

Moab

Reaction score
I thinking about going to synthetic oil. I plan on keeping this one for a few years at least. The KJ is different animal than the TJ Wrangler. It has a much friendlier ride even with the lift I have on it with AT's.
All my trucks are running with Synthetic and all have aged well.
I just changed all other fluids today in my KJ (front and rear diffs, ******, transfer)but when I do my oil change I'm going with syn. Plus I've got syn on my garage...

TAwesome

Pizza Pimp
Reaction score
yeah fair enoug. I only started listening because he was saying synthetic for $3/qt plus free filter, catch pan and funel. Im a sucker for the "F" word. So I thought I would ask.

Moab

Reaction score
I just did the front and rear diffs and yes you need an additive for the rear but If you want to use full syn in the engine I'd go with 5w30. It is more expensive but you get what you pay for. If you have an engine with over 100K it may be too late to get all the benefits of using a synthetic like Mobil 1 in the Engine.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The only additive that is ever needed or should be used in a KJ is for the rear diff, IF you have the Trac Loc, as stated above. Other than that, they will cause more harm than good.

Latest posts

Members online