Driveline and Steering Component Lubrication

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aksloan

Reaction score
Page 290 2004 Libby manual:

U-joints are sealed and do not require lubrication. Prop shafts, yokes, ball joints and driveline and steering compnents may be provided with grease fittings for lubrication.

Is there a how-to anywhere about what needs done and where these grease fittings are located? I did the diffs, tcase, ******, and oil but never thought there were grease fittings.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no grease fittings anywhere. I do not know how you would go about adding them to anything. Other than replacing your ball joints with ones (Moogs) that had the zerks in them already.

As far as lubrication goes, when I do an oil change, I spray a penetrating grease lubricant on the sway bar bushings, etc since I am under the jeep anyway.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please tell you didn't use a WD-40 type lubricant. You used normal spray grease such as a white lithium or silicone, right.

I use "Endura" made by Castle. It is a heavy duty penetrating grease. It is made for spraying into tight places and stays put and doesn't run all over. It comes in a red/white/blue/purple spray can. Got it at Advance Auto. It was recommended to me by a mechanic I know and I have been using it for years. Every time I do an oil change, since I am under the jeep rolling around on the creeper, I check everything out front to back and spray what moves.

I would prefer zerks, and Warn manual locking hubs, but I am old fashioned I guess.

Dave

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aftermarket greaseable components:

Jeepin' By Al's Upper Control Arm (1 per side = 2)

Moog K3199 Lower Ball Joints (1 per side = 2)

Greaseable U-Joints (2)

Tie Rod Ends (Moogs are not greaseable, I believe I said they were greaseable in another thread, but email Marlin and he confirmed they are in fact NOT greaseable) (2)

Drill and tap sway bar bushing. I've been thinking of trying these to see if they fit or not: http://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/19-1187-BL/10002/-1 (2)

Total of 10 grease zerks.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you said 'tie rod ends were not greaseable' then why did you count them as 2?

Do you know where one would find some greaseable?