Differential vs. Transmission Speed Sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NORVIN

Reaction score
What is the difference between Differential vs. Transmission Speed Sensors? I have a 2003 KJ Limited with the 45RFE transmission. Does it use both? My speedometer works after the Liberty has been parked for awhile. It continues to work at highway speed for about 5 miles then jumps around and stops working.

NORVIN

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys. I installed a new pigtail and speed sensor. No speed reading at all so new sensor is a dud. Cleaned up old sensor and put it back in. Worked for about 10 miles then stopped reporting speed. Took it out and wiped it off. I saw some very fine metal shavings on the white paper towel.

I also checked oHm readings on both sensors. The old one reads 15.4 M oHm. The new one reads OL.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw some very fine metal shavings on the white paper towel.
Metal dust particulates are normal, but metal shavings less so ... Maybe time for a rear diff lube change and inspection?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Metal dust particulates are normal, but metal shavings less so ... Maybe time for a rear diff lube change and inspection?
I wanna say there was atsb way back that involved dumping refilling rear diff with "diff"erent fluid because of fouling sensors. But I could be making that up, my memory does weird things now and again. ;)

NORVIN

Reaction score
Reactions: klc