CV front driveshaft blew on the trail!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the T-case end removed? Lots easier if the rear CV is separated from the T-case - that gives you some leverage to pop off the front CV.

Bob

It's all broken and rotates freely. Thought about removing front first and then undoing rear side when shaft is not there. Pretty hard to access the bolts otherwise coz of the crossmember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's all broken and rotates freely. Thought about removing front first and then undoing rear side when shaft is not there. Pretty hard to access the bolts otherwise coz of the crossmember.

If you have a 1/4" drive ratchet with an extension it makes it a lot easer. I struggle to get a 3/8" drive up in there :emotions34:

Bob

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have to get the rear off first. no way to get the front out before that.

I used a 1/4" deep socket w/ an extension w/ a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter to a 3/8" racket.

The way I did it was unbolted the ones I could get to then pushed the jeep back or forward until the other bolts are towards the 6 o'clock position.

push the driveshaft forward into front CV as it can compress a bit to allow the rear to be moved out of the mating part of the TF case.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks buddy. I only have 3/8" ratchets gotta get more tools

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after that it'll be some threading work to get the driveshaft out.
Some had to unbolt the shifter bracket(?) off the tf case.

I did not have too. Just moved the rear cv to the driverside of the tf case which should allow the front cv to come off the mating part then you should be able to get the whole thing out. It's easier said than done so take your time.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can also jack up one of the front wheels under the lower control arm and rotate the pinion without risking a run away jeep and yet accessing all of the bolts.

I found compressing the pinion side of the driveshaft to move the Transfer case end up and to the drivers side was best to fit the driveshaft in or out. Weeping pinion seals must have kept mine from sticking.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
you can also jack up one of the front wheels under the lower control arm and rotate the pinion without risking a run away jeep and yet accessing all of the bolts.

I found compressing the pinion side of the driveshaft to move the Transfer case end up and to the drivers side was best to fit the driveshaft in or out. Weeping pinion seals must have kept mine from sticking.

Thats the way I do mine

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after that it'll be some threading work to get the driveshaft out.
Some had to unbolt the shifter bracket(?) off the tf case.

I did not have too. Just moved the rear cv to the driverside of the tf case which should allow the front cv to come off the mating part then you should be able to get the whole thing out. It's easier said than done so take your time.

That's what I have to do. Funny how KJ's can be different even though they're the 'same.' Thankfully the bolt for the bracket is easy to get to; removing that bracket enabled me to keep cuss words stored up for more frustrating projects around the house :gr_grin:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's what I have to do. Funny how KJ's can be different even though they're the 'same.' Thankfully the bolt for the bracket is easy to get to; removing that bracket enabled me to keep cuss words stored up for more frustrating projects around the house :gr_grin:

Bob

Yes lot of difference even between the 03 and 04 for example

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the driver's side front wheel up in the air, then use my 1-1/16" wrench (biggest I have) against the transfer case end of the shaft and a BFH with one whack to get it loose, then tap&turn ad infinitum on the diff end to get it loose. T-case end goes up, diff end comes down, then thread the shaft out to get the t-case end out near the front of the ****** where the opening is bigger.

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With help of a friend got this ****** out...

You must be registered for see images attach

CV is not shot it's annihilated.

Should I seal off the two CV holes in tcase and front till I get it fixed?

Last edited by a moderator:

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If it's going to be a while, I'd just stuff a clean shop rag in there... some blue paper towels work too. You just want to stop debris from blowing into it, or rusty junk from falling onto the seals, etc.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
With help of a friend got this ****** out...

You must be registered for see images attach

CV is not shot it's annihilated.

You mean where the front driveshaft goes in, why? its a sealed area, nothing can get in there , unless you're going out and try to go mudding and pack it full of mud of course

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly not going mudding 2x4 lol.
Thanks for the help people!
Till the next episode - rebuilding the CV itself....

Wildebeest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my passenger cv, half shaft and hub today. No more pop pop pop in 4wd. I'll save the other side for another day.

rsscoggins

Reaction score
Most " blow out " because people don't know how to pack the grease into the cv joints.

I agree with rjkj2005 - pack the grease properly and it will last a long time.

Reviving and old thread. I got a new rear CV for the front drive shaft from Detroit Axle.

You guys have a procedure for packing the CV? I want to do it properly so I do not prematurely blow it out!

rsscoggins

Reaction score
While we are at it - which side does the paper gasket go on?

I assume on the side with the cap and not the side with the boot but I am just guessing at this point...