Computer Code: P0551

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi fellas :)

My KJ is showing the code P0551... according here it would be "The power steering switch may not be working. (Neons: high pressure is showing up at high speed)"

It only shows at highway speeds... never in town driving...

Also I've been feeling the steering wheel a little bit sluggish sometimes when I try to park... but at this point I don't know if its my imagination...

Any help will be very appreciated...

Thanks in advance! :D

AlexKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... maybe I would start to helping myself :D

You must be registered for see images

The thing which is failing is the number 7 (P/N: 04606045)... It's a switch that senses the pressure of the hydraulic fluid which reflects how hard it is working (e.g. like when turning at low speed or when stopped).

The switch is located below the power steering reservoir. It is supposed to raise the idle speed when you are turning the wheels at low speeds when the system will require more pressure and thus otherwise drag down the idle.

I have to locate the high pressure line that runs to the steering gear from the power steering pump...

It no doubt just screws out and then install the new one. The steering fluid will run out so I have to be prepared to clean catch it, and be ready to screw in the new one to minimize loss. Maybe if I catch the fluid in a clean pan I can reuse it... nah ;)

Then refill the power steering reservoir. Perhaps I should start the engine and then turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times to bleed the air from the system... I don't know really...

Since I have a 2003 I have to use only MOPAR Power Steering Fluid (instead ATF+4 which is used 2004+) if I loose some of it.

I doubt it that the code has anything to do with the fluid level... the only remaining question is if the switch stuck open (I can't measure that) or is the pressure really too high when I'm driving at normal speed or not even turning the wheel.

Any comments?

Cheers! :)

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this...

POWER STEERING PUMP
Hydraulic pressure for the power steering system is provided by a belt driven power steering pump. The pump shaft has a pressed-on high strength plastic drive pulley that is belt driven by the crankshaft pulley. The integral reservoir used on the 3.7L is attached to the pump body with spring clips.

OPERATION
The power steering pump is a constant flow rate and displacement, vane-type pump. The pump internal parts operate submerged in fluid. The flow control orifice is part of the high pressure line fitting. The pressure relief valve inside the flow control valve limits the pump pressure.

NOTE: Power steering pumps have different pressure rates and are not interchangeable with other pumps.

I think you're on the right track.

Latest posts

Members online