Cold Weather Spray Painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought and cut my electrical strut for cross rails today. I am going to paint the rails and clamps but my question is if I can paint them in my garage at the current temperatures? Highs in Green Bay this week are upper 30's low 40's. My basement doesn't even have a window so that is out. What do you guys think?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your using Rustoliem Hammered you'll be fine,it seems to hammer out better in the colder temps,I have sprayed it in 40 degree weather and hammered real well and has held up good.I wouldn't recomend spraying any other type of paint at those temps though.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeepman56: What are Warholamo Rails?

tjkj2002: What are the tubes coming out on the bottom side of your kj? I might be interested in something like that to provide protection but just as important so i can stand on them to get access to my cargo basket after i put my lift on.

Jeepman56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are cross bars for my roof made from electrical strut, they are actually what I am referring to painting in this post. A guy on the LOST KJ forum by the name of Warholamo came up with the idea.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeepman56: What are Warholamo Rails?

tjkj2002: What are the tubes coming out on the bottom side of your kj? I might be interested in something like that to provide protection but just as important so i can stand on them to get access to my cargo basket after i put my lift on.
The tubes are the outer bars on my Super Skink Rock Sliders,saved my butt more then once.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to spray paint the tail light covers, then decided not to, it is ass-freezing cold outside, and I figured that's not gonna be good for the spray paint.

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are cross bars for my roof made from electrical strut, they are actually what I am referring to painting in this post. A guy on the LOST KJ forum by the name of Warholamo came up with the idea.

Oh. Do you have a link to that forum. I may be interested.

Update: I found the link. http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2...=0&postorder=asc&highlight=roof+rails&start=0. Looks interesting but I already have yakima cross rails. I'm looking for a way to lower the basket though because it is too high - too hard to reach stuff. I'm thinking of a design to make it sit almost directly on top of the factory bars, just clearing the roof.

Why don't you rent a portable heater to paint them?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online