Clicking sound 05 liberty sport front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gummie45

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a clicking sound coming from front drive shaft. Only happens when going under 5mph. Put front end on jacks and turned wheel, wheel will get hard to turn then get easy and that is when the click appears. only clicks 3 times and then is hard to turn and starts over. Sounds like it is coming from center of shaft. Also only happens going straight in forward and reverse not when turning. Any thoughts appreciated.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the boot on the rear of the front drive shaft. That boot gets crack and lets water in. Driveshaftparts.com is where a lot of us get the parts to rebuild the rear joint on the drive shaft.

Also, you can removed the front drive shaft and drive without it (just don't put in 4 wheel drive) and see if the noise goes away to confirm, but if that boot is torn at all then this is your problem.

gummie45

Reaction score
How is the boot on the rear of the front drive shaft. That boot gets crack and lets water in. Driveshaftparts.com is where a lot of us get the parts to rebuild the rear joint on the drive shaft.

Also, you can removed the front drive shaft and drive without it (just don't put in 4 wheel drive) and see if the noise goes away to confirm, but if that boot is torn at all then this is your problem.
I'll check the boot and pull the front ds today. How long can you drive without the fds? Thanks

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as long as you want until you want 4H or 4L. They sold these in RWD only -- so you will develop empathy for those who did not pay for 4WD.

I chased so many noises and it ended up being the rear joint on that front drive shaft. You can order a full replacement and if you do Google how to measure it so you don't get the wrong size. But consensus over the years is that the rear rebuild kit from driveshaftparts.com is the way to go .

When I remove my propeller shaft I jack one of the front wheels up and put on a jacks stand. You can then rotate the prop shaft to get to the bolts. To stop rotation put it in 4 high.

First time it comes out you might need to really pry on the front. And if a little fluid comes from the front that is no big deal.

gummie45

Reaction score
as long as you want until you want 4H or 4L. They sold these in RWD only -- so you will develop empathy for those who did not pay for 4WD.

I chased so many noises and it ended up being the rear joint on that front drive shaft. You can order a full replacement and if you do Google how to measure it so you don't get the wrong size. But consensus over the years is that the rear rebuild kit from driveshaftparts.com is the way to go .

When I remove my propeller shaft I jack one of the front wheels up and put on a jacks stand. You can then rotate the prop shaft to get to the bolts. To stop rotation put it in 4 high.

First time it comes out you might need to really pry on the front. And if a little fluid comes from the front that is no big deal.
Thanks, I'm working on it tonight, hopefully I'll have it out before the sun comes up!

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, you will be rolling with 4WD in no time.

I have to admit when I had a similar notice I was convinced it was my intermediate shaft because I had already done the rear joint with a subpar parts. I did a big breakdown, pulled the CV axle and intermediate shaft only to find out I had the same source of the noise as you. Big lesson learned.

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you put the driveshaft back in, it is easier if you get the end close the the transfer case near the transfer case and put the front in first. I bought a new front driveshaft for my 2006 and I struggled until I focused on getting the front in first

gummie45

Reaction score
When you put the driveshaft back in, it is easier if you get the end close the the transfer case near the transfer case and put the front in first. I bought a new front driveshaft for my 2006 and I struggled until I focused on getting the front in first
Thanks for the tip. This I will do.