Clean out of Coolant tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recall seeing somewhere where someone cleaned out the yellowing that we all get after time. Will soon be replacing all the hoses, w. pump, t. stat - figured I'd clean this out as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Seem to remember Denture cleaner or something..

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used one of those bottle brushes from the dollar store to scrub the inside.
Didn't get the yellow staining out though.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
From the coolant & heat, the plastic tank will discolor, and the only way to get it pure white again, is to replace the tank.
As long as the inside is clean, and you can easily see the level, you're good.
IDK what happened to the inexpensive tanks from rock auto...$50+ shipping on ebay.

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen 50 buck ones, but not worth it if it will just eventually go the same way.

It's funny, my older Ford still looks like new. I think it's either the type of plastic, or more likely, the HOAT antifreeze dye.

I just remember seeing someone do a Chrysler vehicle of some type and liiked like new.

They used some common chemical - toilet bowl cleaner, bleach, Polident :)

From the coolant & heat, the plastic tank will discolor, and the only way to get it pure white again, is to replace the tank.
As long as the inside is clean, and you can easily see the level, you're good.
IDK what happened to the inexpensive tanks from rock auto...$50+ shipping on ebay.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a wild stab in the dark, but "Wesly's Bleache White" whitewall cleaner is the most potent stain remover I've ever used.

Bob

Members online

No members online now.