Check Engine Light - Transmission code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was pretty cold yesterday morning when I was heading to work - 15°F. Not brutal, but cold enough to let my '02 warm up for 5-10 minutes before I headed out. When I pulled out of the driveway, my check engine light came on. I could feel the transmission slipping very slightly when pulling away from the first two stop signs, but it acted normally otherwise and it quit slipping as it warmed up.

Last night when I checked the error code, it threw back P0700 - the generic transmission code. Fluid is fine and clean. Can't get it to slip now that is around 35°, shifts normally.

How long should I wait to see if the code clears itself or decide if it needs to go into the shop?

Thanks,

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has never set off the CEL, but when it's really cold here in the morning my transmission has a little difficulty until it warms up. It only affects me when I back out of the driveway and then shift to drive. I just have to wait a second or two before I start to move and it is usually fine. Of course, really cold here is about 5-15 F. So warmer condtions than -15.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, that's the only code. My Haynes manual says "Transmission control system (MIL request)". Does the Mopar manual say something different?

Would a faulty throttle position sensor give any symptoms?

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I googled this post out of another Jeep forum, so it looks like I'll need to take it in and have them scan the TCM codes.

"The P0700 code tells you that the TCM (transmission control module) asked the PCM (powertrain control module) for the MIL (malfunction indicator light) to be illuminated. It's an indication that there is a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) stored in the TCM. The code can be cleared from the PCM (as you did by disconnecting the battery) but if the trans issue is not resolved, it will just return later."

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code cleared itself on the way to work this morning (35°), so I'm going to wait until it gets cold again and see what happens. It was probably P0700 = brrrr!!!

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code cleared itself on the way to work this morning (35°), so I'm going to wait until it gets cold again and see what happens. It was probably P0700 = brrrr!!!

Not sure why you'd get that code merely because of cold temps. Last year we had several days of 14 degrees, and just a couple of weeks ago we had several nights of 15 and 16, and days that never saw above freezing and I never threw a code.

Plus, I hear-a-tell there are some folks from places like Ohio who should regularly see temps even colder than that. I'd be wondering if those guys threw codes merely because of colder temps.

My jeep was shifting funny in those cold temps, but it never threw a code. Hopefully everything's alright, though. Good luck.

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've never had any trouble at either extreme before either.

I know this is far from the highest or lowest anyone has ever seen, but it's a pretty good spread for Ohio:
Oh, and these were both on the same day LOL. Not.

The -22° F was actually -26° when I started up, I was freezing my nose hairs and went back into the house to get the camera.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually wondered if it ended up throwing a code because I was stuck driving in all those high winds (50 mph +) earlier in the week. Even though I had the OD locked out, I had to keep my foot in it just to hold 60 on the interstate, and it was still dropping down into third and hunting up and down to try and hold speed. I don't know why the CEL wouldn't come on until 3 days later, though.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold temps can do strange things to sensors so it wouldnt surprise me if it it throws a code when its cold like that.

Totally different sensor but I had an air bag sensor that only gave a code when it was below 40F. Imagine trying to get the dealer to figure that one out while it was under warranty. :rolleyes:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh how ThunderbirdJunkie wishes he had an EVIC when he lived in Phx.

The thermo-meter in my previous car couldn't read higher than 125 degrees...

It said 125 degrees on more than several (hundred) occasions! :mad:

Where bouts in PHX did you live?

Sorry, back to ****** codes :D

Members online