broke off oil pan bolt head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score
okay so i have the motor out and and i was re-installing the oil pan when i broke the head off of not one but two bolts. well i got out the easy outs and drilled the center out of them and tried to extract them and the extractor broke off in them , ..both of them have broken off extractors in them....fml... not what do i do, because i can not drill out the extractors (seeing as how every time i try they just chew up my bits. am i looking at buying a new block?

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the old days we used to take a center punch and going on the outside of the bolt punch it counterclockwise. Sometimes this worked to rotate the broken bolt out far enough to get a pair of vise grips on it.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another option (that will be tough as those are small diameter bolts) is to use a dremel to cut a slot in them (if they are flush with the block surface) and then use the largest flat bladed screwdriver you can to back them out.

Did this on my LS1 crank when I broke a flywheel bolt off in there. Used a Craftsman screwdriver with a square shaft so I could put an adjustable wrench on it for good torque and then I put a lot of pressure to press the screwdriver into the bolt. Took several tries, and every time I got it to back out a little I would cut the slot a little deeper, but it did work in the end.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used both of the methods above and they are both good. Patience and persistence. :)