Alignment without sway bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stacemranger

Reaction score
Putting the Jeep back together after ball joint and front LCA bushing change. Couldn't re-use bolts for old sway bar links in new ones. They were very rusty and degraded. Ordered some new ones from dealer. The car is back together minus the front sway bar currently. My question is...

Can I get the car aligned without the sway bar attached?

If yes, will the alignment be affected once I re-install the sway bar(with new end links and bushings)?

Also, do I have to get an alignment when I install new front UCA in the next month or two?

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT drive over 5mph with front sway bar missing! Not sure about alignment just wanted to make sure ya know that :)

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I get the car aligned without the sway bar attached?
Yes, the sway bar isn't a part of what changes the alignment.

If yes, will the alignment be affected once I re-install the sway bar(with new end links and bushings)?
No

Also, do I have to get an alignment when I install new front UCA in the next month or two?
Yes

C.J.

Last edited:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT drive over 5mph with front sway bar missing! Not sure about alignment just wanted to make sure ya know that :)

Don't know about all that, but alignment won't be affected in the least with it(sway bar) off or on. No matter how "close" to original position you got the lower arms and their fully adjustable bolts an alignment is a must do after having them off. will also be required after upper arm replacement.

Bob

Stacemranger

Reaction score
Don't know about all that, but alignment won't be affected in the least with it(sway bar) off or on. No matter how "close" to original position you got the lower arms and their fully adjustable bolts an alignment is a must do after having them off. will also be required after upper arm replacement.

Bob

Definitely not close at all. Had to saw through one of the bolts due to rust. Went ahead and replaced all the LCA bolts with new ones.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, a quick test drive afterwards will tell you pretty quick if you *need* an alignment or not.

I have ~30,000km on my trial'n'error tape measure alignment. Wasn't going to drop $100 four or five different times as I fixed things on the Jeep. Maybe for the next set of tires I'll look at a professional alignment.

Stacemranger

Reaction score
IMO, a quick test drive afterwards will tell you pretty quick if you *need* an alignment or not.

I have ~30,000km on my trial'n'error tape measure alignment. Wasn't going to drop $100 four or five different times as I fixed things on the Jeep. Maybe for the next set of tires I'll look at a professional alignment.

We(dad and I) have an alignment kit we can use to get it pretty close, but I waited and did a bunch of things pretty close together. Front shocks/Springs, lower ball joint, LCA bushings, new camber bolts, brakes, sway bar bushings and end links, tie rods, new calipers. Wanted to wait and do UCA with this stuff as well but LBJ got real bad and I got worried. Gonna wait until winter to do anything else. Take a break.

Also, my tires have less than a year on them.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That is not necessarily true. Just because a vehicle won't pull, doesn't mean it doesn't need an alignment. You won't feel a pull from camber and that could possibly destroy some tires after a while.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, but you can adjust out obvious bad camber just the same. I've got mine driving straight and even tire wear since installing both UCAs. No shop alignment.

All I'm saying is it doesnt have to be a panic situation to get it to a shop. Most anyone who runs a shop though will tell you different.... conflict of interest imho.

Stacemranger

Reaction score
That is not necessarily true. Just because a vehicle won't pull, doesn't mean it doesn't need an alignment. You won't feel a pull from camber and that could possibly destroy some tires after a while.

Had a Honda that the camber was off and ended up with a pair of racing slicks it wore my tires down so bad. Happened quick too. Like 1-2 months on a still decent set of tires. It was too late by the time I noticed. Live and learn.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course, but you can adjust out obvious bad camber just the same. I've got mine driving straight and even tire wear since installing both UCAs. No shop alignment.

All I'm saying is it doesnt have to be a panic situation to get it to a shop. Most anyone who runs a shop though will tell you different.... conflict of interest imho.

Yea but I'll also never tell someone that an alignment is a safety issue... I would rather save myself the dollars down the road, ya hear? I think a lot of us can relate to the parts that make up some of our lifts :burnout:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

IF one is very mechanically adept AND able to wrap their heads around the practical applications of geometry, they may actually have more hits than misses doing a shade tree align.

Your "conflict of interest" is a lot more often "the voice of experience".

Bob

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh... I like to figure stuff out myself. I used to work in automotive. I gotta really bung it up good before I'm willing to pay somebody. Even a worst-case DIY scenario for me doesn't cost more than a shop... and then I've learned how to do better for next time.

Pardon my cynicism... but I've been burned far too many times on paid-for services - not just automotive. Bit many times and more shy than ever I suppose. :emotions34:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea but I'll also never tell someone that an alignment is a safety issue... I would rather save myself the dollars down the road, ya hear? I think a lot of us can relate to the parts that make up some of our lifts :burnout:

I'll tell you right now that you did NOT want to ride in my Jeep directly after the lift. THAT was a safety issue. Every pothole would make the thing be squirelly all over the rode.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

I would argue that point, it can be a safety issue

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh... I like to figure stuff out myself. I used to work in automotive. I gotta really bung it up good before I'm willing to pay somebody. Even a worst-case DIY scenario for me doesn't cost more than a shop... and then I've learned how to do better for next time.

Pardon my cynicism... but I've been burned far too many times on paid-for services - not just automotive. Bit many times and more shy than ever I suppose. :emotions34:

I'd say that falls under the "mechanically inclined" collum. MANY folks don't.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll tell you right now that you did NOT want to ride in my Jeep directly after the lift. THAT was a safety issue. Every pothole would make the thing be squirelly all over the rode.

I've driven plenty of trucks directly after lift kit install from the dealer to my shop, Frankenmuth to Flint and it's not all that bad, not to mention on stock tires. Whether or not you want to call it a safety issue, its NOT needed if you like an upside down steering wheel and a vehicle that pulls every which way with tires that need replacement every 6 months. :shrug:

I would argue that point, it can be a safety issue

Same point as above. A safety issue to me, would be essential parts on a vehicle that need attention. Don't get me wrong, I believe in keeping a properly aligned vehicle, but a misaligned vehicle is more nuisance than safety concerned. :emotions34:

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, but Frankenmuth to Flint is all highway, no tight curves and not really far (Just did that trip last Thurs). And the road's pretty smooth up there.

Bumps and potholes are what jack the vehicle all over the road when the alignment's that far out.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've driven plenty of trucks directly after lift kit install from the dealer to my shop, Frankenmuth to Flint and it's not all that bad, not to mention on stock tires. Whether or not you want to call it a safety issue, its NOT needed if you like an upside down steering wheel and a vehicle that pulls every which way with tires that need replacement every 6 months. :shrug:

Same point as above. A safety issue to me, would be essential parts on a vehicle that need attention. Don't get me wrong, I believe in keeping a properly aligned vehicle, but a misaligned vehicle is more nuisance than safety concerned. :emotions34:

LOL OK have lifted quite a few at my place , I warn everyone when they would start out to the alignment shop 3 miles away to be careful.
Everyone was amazed at how they drove, like driving one on a pure ice road, with ball bearings on top of the ice.
NOW if that is not a concern to you, ...........:shrug:
Back in the early 70s all I did daily was just for suspension, alignment and brakes. Seen plenty over the years that I wouldn't drive around the building. Wasn't only worn parts or bad tires, alignment being way out was one of the major issues. Affects steering, handling, braking etc
But glad you all live away from me if you don't think its an issue :happy175:

Latest posts

Members online