'03 Liberty Infinity Radio - No Sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moterhead

Reaction score
The radio in my wife's '03 Limited has quit producing any sound. Kind of boring to listen to, LOL! Seriously, all the functions on the dial work fine. Just no sound produced. The system is the Infinity cd/cassette. I've heard somewhere that the Infinity systems have an external amp. Could the problem be the amp rather than the radio itself? I can pick up a radio off ebay for around $100. Before I buy one, I'd like to be pretty sure it will fix the problem. Radio or amp? My '04 Ram has the same radio. Guess I could swap mine into her Jeep for a test. I hate to do that as I might not be able to get it back!!!

Thanks,

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The amps are attached to each of the front door speakers. I am not sure but they maybe on a seperate fuse than the radio. Did you check the fuses?

eddiev9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too sure...but assuming it's a factory system, shouldn't a problem like this fall under warranty?

moterhead

Reaction score
Yes, I checked all the fuses I could find. Is the amp fuse located in some special place, not in the normal fuse box or under hood power center?

Yes, it would be covered under warranty except the truck has 40,000+ miles on it. 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty covers the radio.

Does anyone know if the amp does work do you still get any sound? If, the amps are hooked to the front door speakers only, wouldn't you still get sound out of the rears? I just don't know anything about automotive audio systems. Obviously!

Anyone have a takeout cd/cassette they want to sell?

TIA

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moterhead said:
Yes, I checked all the fuses I could find. Is the amp fuse located in some special place, not in the normal fuse box or under hood power center?

Yes, it would be covered under warranty except the truck has 40,000+ miles on it. 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty covers the radio.

Does anyone know if the amp does work do you still get any sound? If, the amps are hooked to the front door speakers only, wouldn't you still get sound out of the rears? I just don't know anything about automotive audio systems. Obviously!

Anyone have a takeout cd/cassette they want to sell?

TIA
If the amps arent working, you wont get any sound. All the speakers wires, including the rear and tweeters are routed through the amps in the front door. If you take off the door panel you will find (if my memory hasnt failed me) 5 pairs of wires going to the amp. Three are for input to the amp (power, front, rear) and the other two are outputs(tweeter, rear).

moterhead

Reaction score
billforde, thanks for that info. Are the amps separately fused? If so, where is the fuse(s) located? Is there an amp for each side? WOuld both have to go out to get no sound or if only one were out, would one side play? Seems unlikely that both would go bad simultaneously. Again, showing my ignorance.

billforde

Full Access Member
Reaction score
moterhead said:
billforde, thanks for that info. Are the amps separately fused? If so, where is the fuse(s) located? Is there an amp for each side? WOuld both have to go out to get no sound or if only one were out, would one side play? Seems unlikely that both would go bad simultaneously. Again, showing my ignorance.
From the service manual it looks like fuse 18 is for the Amps. Yes, each side has its own amp, thats why i thought it maybe the fuse. If one of the amps went bad the other side would still produce sound.

moterhead

Reaction score
Unfortunately the Jeep is presently in Nashville, Tn and I'm in Canyon, Texas, so I can't run out & check the fuse. Next time I'm over there, I'll check it out. From what you've said about each side being independent, it's likely either the fuse or the radio.
Thanks for the info and your trouble to look it up.

Gentleman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There s also a amplifier relay and choke which is fused, check fuse 18 in the junction block under the hood

Bob