From Sidekick to KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SeventyGTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought an 05 Limited from the original owner today to replace my trusty lifted/locked Sidekick. We mainly wanted something that rode better and had more power. We will be towing it behind our motor home and it worked out this one already had a Roadmaster tow bar on it.

Knowing myself, I doubt this will stay stock for long. Probably go with a 2.5 inch lift and stay with the same size tires that were on my Sidekick, 245/75/16's. But will have to change rims because it has 17s at the moment.

Anyway, hope to learn a lot on this forum. The guys on the local 4x4 forum think I'm going backwards, but I don't think so. This Liberty is a MUCH nicer overall vehicle.Here are pics of the Sidekick, and it's new replacement still at the original owners home.....

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I traded in my Tracker (cousin to the Sidekick) for my '07 Liberty last year. Trust me, it is NOT a step backwards. ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't even compare the ride of a Sammy/ Tracker etc to a KJ. Even stock with crappy suspension when brand new they ( KJs) rode way better

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Sidekick you have/had there tho.
Can't even compare a leaf sprung Sammy to a coil spring Sidekick. My Sammy would teeter and bounce a lot on bumps (thanks to the suspension & short wheelbase). The "killer" 1.3 engine wheezed more than usual due to the 31" tires, and 5th gear could no longer be used. Instead of re-gearing, I dropped in a Chevy 4.3 v6, TH350 trans, and Jeep Dana 44 front & rear axles. That did help it scoot along just a tad bit better! ;)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Dave

colorado76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome,
I would like to say that your previously owned JX looked very well built. I think that you will find that your KJ will serve you well, and you will put alot of the same passion into it.

Last edited: