Lift faq: Read before asking questions!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
What is the difference between a spacer and a coil lift?
Spacer lifts retain the stock parts. You fit polyurethane (or sometimes metal) spacers to the stock components. It does require dis-assembly of the front strut assemblies.
Daystar is the better spacer lift out there, but new lift coils and shocks is the best option.
What is the best lift out there?
Most prefer OME Springs (Medium duty or Heavy Duty) and Rancho (which are discontinued), Bilstein, or OME shocks.

Other solid option, which gives you about 1" of lift, and for near $100, is the "WesWay" lift. Best of all, you can reuse all the components from it (shims, clevis lift, rear isolators)
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43781

Part #'s:
Coils:
Front:
OME 925 rated at 350 lbs just about stock
OME926 rated at 375 lbs
OME927 rated at400lbs
OME 790s for CRD applications or for someone with heavy front bumper and winch rated at 500lbs

Rear:
OME 948 rear spring rate: 200 lbs/inch

BDS rear spring rate: 210 lbs/inch

EFS rear spring rate: 220 lbs/inch

Shocks:
Front (same size as stock):
Rancho: RSX17505
Bilstein: F4-BE5-D916-H0
OME: NS131

Rear:
Rancho: RSX17004 NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Bilstein: F4-BE5-6458-H7OR F4-BE5-A702--H0 (They are pretty much the same thing)
OME: N132-L

What other components for a lift do I need besides shocks and coils?
Bumpstops. Teraflex is the only ones providing front bumpstops You need extended ones, to prevent stacking the coils (which will wear them out quicker)
Bumpstops prevented this coil from stacking:
You must be registered for see images attach

So...you need Tera Flex front bumpstops
For the rear, Daystar ones or hockey pucks will work out the same, both require drilling in the spring perch.
HOW TO REAR BUMPSTOPS (Hockey puck version):
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43989

Will I need new A arms? What is the advantage of JBA A Arms?
Probably not. The advantage is that they reduce or eliminate coil contact (again, not everyone will have coil contact) The ball joints in them are also replaceable, unlike the Mopar OE ones. Plus the red powder coat on them looks great. :D

What can I add to the front for more lift?
You can do a clevis lift, add a top plate either 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch thick, and even a very small spacer to the strut assembly.
Key thing is to keep the hub to fender measurement under 23.25 ", otherwise you'll want JBA arms and cut CV's.

What can I add to the rear for more lift?
Extra isolators on the top. Lower ones can be used but most prefer to add one or two top ones

Please post up any additional info or questions, so I can add them to this post.

How To Install a lift

Some additional reading, as posted by Josh (Thanks)
Q: What is the difference between a spacer and a coil lift?
A: Spacer lifts retain the stock parts. You fit polyurethane (or sometimes metal) spacers to the stock components. It does require dis-assembly of the front strut assemblies.
Daystar is the better spacer lift out there, but new lift coils and shocks is the best option. The reality is if you have more than 40k on your stock springs they are worn out.

Q: What are my options for springs?
A: If you want a taller spring that is not going to sag out in a hurry you want a spring with a higher spring rate. Stock is 310lbs so are Rusty’s and Skyjacker. In short don’t waste your money on anything but Old Man Emu or Iron Man.

Old Man Emu is the tried and true choice around here. A great set up that will last at least 100K miles. You will notice a big improvement in handling on and off road. Price? About $800.

Front Coil Part Number:
OME 925 rated at 350 lbs just about stock
OME 926 rated at 375 lbs
OME 927 rated at400lbs
OME 790s 500lbs

Rear Coil Part Number:
OME 948 rear spring rate: 200 lbs/inch​

The new kid on the block is the Ironman suspension system. Is seems to be well built and has a ride comparable to OME. Price? About $650. The drawback it’s too new to know if it will have the longevity of OME. Interested? Read these 2 threads:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/ironman-lift-pics-added-pg-2-5-a-51647/
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/ironman-lift-install-comments-m-g-52398/
Q: What about Shocks?
A: There are several options. You need to sick with stock length in the front and extended length in the rear. A shock made for a Dakota will be the correct length. Some people like to match their OME springs with OME shocks, Ironman springs with Ironman shock. Some like to mix and match brands. Here are some part numbers:

Front
Rancho: RSX17505 NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Bilstein: F4-BE5-D916-H0
OME: NS131
Ironman: 12711GR

Rear
Rancho: RSX17004 NO LONGER AVAILABLE
Bilstein: F4-BE5-6458-H7OR F4-BE5-A702--H0 (They are pretty much the same thing)
OME: N132-L
Ironman: 12712GR (not extended)

Q: What other components for a lift do I need besides shocks and coils?
A: Bump stops.
Teraflex is the only ones providing front bumpstops. You need extended ones, to prevent stacking the coils (which will wear them out quicker).
| TeraFlex Suspensions

For the rear, Daystar ones or hockey pucks will work out the same, both require drilling in the spring perch.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-rear-bumpstops-hockey-puck-version-43989/

Q: My Jeep already has bump stops why do I need new ones?
A: With the added height, the stock ones are too short.

Q: OME shocks have internal bump stops do I still additional bump stops?
A: Yes to keep you flexing too much and tearing off your fender flares

Q: Will I need new A arms? What is the advantage of JBA A Arms?
A: Hopefully not. The advantage is that they reduce or eliminate coil contact (again, not everyone will have coil contact). The ball joints in them are also replaceable, unlike the Mopar OE ones. They provide a better ball joint angle and make your jeep easier to align. Plus the red powder coat on them looks great.

Q: Will I be able to get my alignment into spec?
A: Some people have had trouble. Read here:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/arm-s-my-experience-51045/
Some advice from tjkj2002: “have them set the camber on both sides as close to -0.4 degrees as possible and caster were ever it lands but the cross caster must be within 0.5 degrees.2.5-3 degrees of caster is plenty”

Q: How many alignments will I need?
A: You have to get it aligned right away and then again in a few months and then after about a year

Q: What can I add to the front for more lift?
A: You can do a clevis lift, add a top plate either 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch thick, and even a very small spacer to the strut assembly.
Key thing is to keep the hub to fender measurement under 23.25 ", otherwise you'll want JBA arms and cut CV's.

Q: What can I add to the rear for more lift?
A: Extra isolators on the top. Lower ones can be used but most prefer to add one or two top ones

Q: Do I need to change anything on my rear brake line
A: This tread says yes
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/brake-line-relocation-bracket-45500/
But others say 2002-2005 No.

Q: What size tires can I run?
A: OME 927s front 948 rears OME shocks teraflex front bump stops, hockey pucks rear bump stops or Ironman kit with clevis lift in front 245-75-16s

Q: Do I need to regear?
A: With a 2.5"inches on lift and 245-75-16" tires, short answer: No. But regearing to 4:10’s you will get better fuel economy and your transmission not continually hunt for gears. If you lift over 4”

Q: How do I install my lift?
A: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-install-frankenlift-*lots-pictures*-complete-29193/

Last edited:

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great idea for a post. Keeps everyone (me included) from asking the same questions over and over.

ceanern

Reaction score
Should throw in some links for places to get the OME parts. I gotta search agian I did see one in the numerous post asking about lifts. I'm glad I research everything before I jump into doing something. I almost went out and got the Skyjacker lift simply cause I coulda used my card to pay for it from a shop online. But after reading most of the post here I will be waiting for income tax time or setup payments if I can find the site agian that was willing to work that. :)

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked before,
but I've read and re-read all the posts I could find till I went crosseyed.
anyway if I were to use OME 927 front and 948 rear I can use my stock front shocks and use rear shocks from a Dakota with hockey pucks in the rear and Tera Flex in the front correct ?

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry if this has been asked before,
but I've read and re-read all the posts I could find till I went crosseyed.
anyway if I were to use OME 927 front and 948 rear I can use my stock front shocks and use rear shocks from a Dakota with hockey pucks in the rear and Tera Flex in the front correct ?

found the answer (did some more reading)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No and No or don't think so since no picture came up for the front
Go to Teraflex and look up the correct ones
Look at jeep liberty 02-07 and i will show you the correct ones
22.99 each on there
For the rear just use two hockey pucks per side, 1 bolt, 1 nut drill a hole and down

thanks man saves me a bit of money and aggrovation

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question with the bumpstops. I am looking into replacing my shocks and coils to get me back to stock height or a little higher and get us a nicer, quieter ride. Since I'm pretty much replacing what I already have with better and newer stuff (I'm looking at OME all the way around) do I need to add more components that don't come with the OME stuff? If I don't have them stock (do I?) then why do I need them with the new stuff?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You have them stock, but with the OME stuff, with the added height, the stock ones are too short.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I had a feeling it was a simple answer, I just didn't know what it was...:shrug:

Correction to the above information
YOU DO NOT have to replace the bumpstops in the front if using OME springs and OME shocks. OME shocks have built in bumpstops.
NOW saying that what we do is install them so with larger tires you do not flex enough to tear off flares.
Rear is the same almost but again install them for the same reasons.
Hope that clears it up some.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just to make sure im clear on this: the front shocks used for the 2 inch lift are the same length as the stock shocks?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the maximum amount of clevis lift?

My new suspension has settled and the left front is a tad lower than the right. I'd like to level it out.

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive seen no info in the forum about the spring tech spacer/coil lift, anyone have anything on that?

Limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://canuckmotorsports.com/cat_jeep_lift.html

ordered drop spindles from these guys before (good service), and also seen them mentioned on lost but thats it.. just mentioned.. but my main concern is would a 3in strut spacer be something to worry about?

and its in canada... so no duty on it, and fast shipping

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online