Painting wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsscoggins

Reaction score
We bought some TJ Moab wheels for my teenage sons Liberty.
You must be registered for see images attach

We had the tires removed in order to prep the wheels for paint.

Overall they are in good shape but do have some chips in a few places.
You must be registered for see images attach

The question of the day is - do we strip the wheels of the old finish completely (using aircraft stripper) or just clean really good and scuff up the finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they are the same style as the stock Liberty rims, then I'd say that you need to strip the coating off them. That coating can bubble and crack over time.

I had my stock rims sand blasted and powder coated, great way to re-purpose them instead of tossing them for new ones. Only cost $40 per wheel. Though, now I wish I had bought new rims with a better backspacing.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice Moabs!

Honestly, unless you really hate the color, I'd leave them. Shy of taking them to a body shop, nothing that comes out of a spray can will last as long as the OEM finish and they'll look ratty quick. I touched my stock wheels up with some Duplicolor spray cans (paint and clear coat, scuffed before and then wet sanded between each coat), and they looked great for a few months and then started flaking again. Next I Plasti-dipped them and it looked good until you pressure washed them. Too much work to baby them like that, so I sold them and got my Moabs.

My personal experience. Maybe someone out there has mastered it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you really hate the color leave them the way they are.
If not I painted my old set of Moabs ( due to a lot of rock rash on 3 of them ) , just lightly sanded ad painted them, last over 4 years when I sold them, ( didn't want to sell but made 500 on them )

SourKraut

Reaction score
Charlesthe2nd, how has the powder coat held up over time/use? I've been considering doing this on my rig eventually.

Charlesthe2nd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Charlesthe2nd, how has the powder coat held up over time/use? I've been considering doing this on my rig eventually.

Are you a sour German, or just have an insatiable love sauerkraut? I'm more of a kimchi guy, but I do enjoy a good sauerkraut. :happy175::happy175:

The powder coating has been on there for about 5 years and it's held up great. Minus some rock rash, they still look really good. The only thing I regret is not getting a smooth finish, similar to the ARB powder coating. I opted for a matte finish to match my rear bumper and sliders. It tmakes cleaning them a bit more difficult and when they're dusty or salty it makes them greyish.

SourKraut

Reaction score
Are you a sour German, or just have an insatiable love sauerkraut?

Some might use the term "ornery" to describe me and I am of German descent, so yes you nailed it there. Not a huge fan of actual sour ***** although a good reuben is hard to beat sometimes!

Thanks for the wheel info.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The question of the day is - do we strip the wheels of the old finish completely (using aircraft stripper) or just clean really good and scuff up the finish?

I did some hand-sanding, especially the corroded/chipped/peeling areas.... 2-coats dark graphite wheel paint, 3 coats clear. Its held up for 3-4 years now... still looks good. (Basic 16" KJ alums, BTW.)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the longest lasting coating for alloy wheels you will want to get them blasted with a softer material,not sand,so you end up with a smooth surface not the rough one you normally see with regular sand blasting.

Then find a local place that does anodizing,might cost $100 per wheel but the typeIII coating(black only mainly) is very tough and will last.