Lights dimming when using power windows

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tanji

Reaction score
I need some advice on why my headlights dim whelm using power windows. My first guess is probably the alternator as it might need more current but I am not 100% sure. I am planning on installing an aftermarket speaker and am worried if the alternator can handle it or not. But I just need a confirmation on if it actually is my alternator or not. Thank you in advance.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normal.

Your power window motors draw alot of amps on top of other high amp loads already being placed on the system.

Say it's at night so you have your headlights on,AC on,and radio your pulling upwards of 70amps from the system,tack on another 10amps and you will notice it.

Tanji

Reaction score
Am I safe to install some aftermarket speakers then? Or should I upgrade my alternator before doing that?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm in checking that the battery terminals are clean and tight and the negative lead going to chassis is clean and tight.

Also check the grounds feeding the lights for a good clean connection.

I have personally never noticed any light dimming on my old 2002 Export CRD and a few years ago I fitted 100 W front bulbs to replace the 65 W bulbs without noticing any dimming.
I have since gone back to better quality 65 W bulbs as the 100 W bulbs became illegal here.

If you are going to fit a massive sound system you may need to upgrade your alternator and will need to use thick wiring to the equipment and ground points.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Another way to help the system is by installing a real powerful battery= Odyssey!
Ya power windows down at night with a 800CCA lead acid battery would be like a brown out.
After installing the Odyssey, would only dim very slightly compared to how it was with the lead acid.
AGM's recover very well, and offer up way more juice!
61988[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• rT0KpoJ.jpg
    rT0KpoJ.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 0