Yakima, Thule, or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ

Reaction score
Going on a cross- country with the Liberty and need some roof storage (weather proof).
Just enough room for a couple of suitcases and maybe some other soft items.
Probably no more than 10 cubic feet, maybe a little more.
What experience do have with both brands and others?
I'm concerned with wind noise and any negative on fuel mileage.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
AJ

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going on a cross- country with the Liberty and need some roof storage (weather proof).
Just enough room for a couple of suitcases and maybe some other soft items.
Probably no more than 10 cubic feet, maybe a little more.
What experience do have with both brands and others?
I'm concerned with wind noise and any negative on fuel mileage.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
AJ

i have a yakima load warrior that has been on a liberty. it fits, secures nicely, locks, and is useful. you will get a good bit of noise, your gas mileage will go down, but depending on how much you load. plus the added weight, whether inside or on the roof will lower your mpg.

if i were you, i would get the yakima over the thule, and dont get a bigger than a load warrior, some people try the extension, or the megawarrior, it looks bad, and isnt recommended from manufacturer, which means it could fail.

where do you live? i am willing to sell mine, dont use it anymore, its in the basement.

edit: nevermind, im in cleveland, you are in oregon, shipping is terrible. try 'orsracksdirect.com' for good prices

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day,
What offrovering said, only then for Thule!
I've been using Thule since 1984 without any problems what soever!
Sold it for 20 or so years sold Yakima as well just never was able to get a fit kit for any of my vehicles and the unit cost was substantially more for Yakima (only 310 miles from us, versus Thule coming out of Sweden!)
Allot of people will tell you that Yakima "fits better" than Thule, but that is just not true! Especially with the fact that you have roof bars fitted already.
Between the two systems I would leave it up to personal choice. As far as performance is concerned... I would give both 100 out of 100%.
Like I said, I use Thule, 'cause I have a whole roof load of their equipment (No pun intended:)!) I have a nice 11 cubic foot roof box that we use when trekking-That thing has paid for it's self. Lockable, watertight. Luggage baskets, bike carriers, ski racks( which I don't use now that I have a ski/luggage box!), canoe & kayak carriers,etc,etc.
I had most of this stuff before we sold Yakima... Why sell what you already bought just to replace it with a competitors product that does the exact same thing?
I ended up being the Thule expert in our shop.

The choice is yours my friend...
Keep in mind that there are several other rack and box manufactures out there as well...

Cheers

Ry'

ps, try http://www.rackattack.com/index.asp

Last edited: